Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Dove Bridge help

moroii

I have a 73 Gibson Dove with a cracked bride. My question is can I put a Epiphone Dove Bridge on the Gibson. Are the specs the same? They look EXACTLY the same! I can get a Epiphone dove on ebay for a little over $100. I can swap the bridges out. Nothing to it. Here is the delima...I do not want to repair the crack because it's coming apart really bad all the way across. I want a replacement bridge not a glued one. I love Gibson! I have a Les Paul Custom, 63 Falcon amp, and a 73 Dove. I even have a Les Paul Tattoo on my leg. That being said... Gibson is a little crazy on there prices. We all know that and we pay the high dollar for there products. That being said they are telling me $550 to $750 for a new bridge + $75 evaluation fee to look at the guitar. I don't need to pay an evaluation fee. It need a bridge...There! I just evaluated it for you. See did not cost $75. Now back to the $550 to to $750 for a bridge???? That's a little much for a small block of wood.

I still love everything gibson but the customer service is lacking. :-&

I wouldn't attempt that repair myself, especially since I have a great luthier I totally trust.

I can't imagine you're going to get the exact bridge from Epi, but if you could, it might not make a difference, but then again it might. I guess it depends on how "original" you want to keep your axe.

I have a '79 Dove that isn't pristine, but it's in great shape for a "player"....but...it's all original. No cracks, but belt rash and pick marks. I also have a '69 Jubilee that looks like Willie Nelson's "Trigger". Been beat to death! I won't even change the tuners on my Jubilee to a new set of Grovers, even though that's why I got them!

Guess, I'm not the right guy to ask, (not withstanding my "FrankenStrat")

Bob

I suspect the Epi Dove bridge or even a newer Gibson Dove bridge would be 'wrong' regardless. The '73 will have a shallower neck set and therefore a thinner bridge. Even if the footprint is exactly the same, a newer one will likely make the action way too high.

A couple years ago I was handed a '57 J45 with a bridge that was cracked in two or three places. I opted to make one from scratch, which wasn't a horrible task. I was fully prepared to repair the existing bridge if necessary though. I know you don't want a glued bridge but if glued properly it could be stronger than new.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok just got my Dove back after about 4 months and $761 later. I must say it plays and sounds great. [thumbup]

Oh... one more thing! Called 7 times in 2 days to pay for it and no one would answer the phone. I got a email telling me to leave my credit card info on the answering machine. That was the worst customer service I have ever seen in my life! WOW!!!!!!!!!

I got a email telling me to leave my credit card info on the answering machine.

Do NOT leave your credit card details on an answering machine. In fact are you SURE that email was really from Gibson? The phone number in the email could be a scam number. If it is and you give them your details you could be in for a lot of hassle.

I agree, NEVER EVER leave credit card info on an answering machine. Well what do you do when the company will not answer the phone??? This was the email

"Hi, this e-mail is to inform you that your instrument is ready to be returned. The total due is $761.00. You may pay via a credit card, check, or money-order. You will have 30 days to pay for your repair. If payment is not received within this time, your instrument WILL BE SOLD to recoup the cost of repair.

*If paying by a credit card, you may call 1-615-244-0252, extension 5102 to leave your information on our secured voicemail. This secured line is safe and only accessible to myself and office manager Dion Edge. We will need the following info:

1. Full name and/or RA number

2. Credit card number

3. Expiration date

4. 3 or 4 digit Verification # (usually found on the back of the card)

** If paying by check or money-order, please make payable to Gibson Repair and Restoration. Our address is below.

Thanks,

Gibson Repair and Restoration

138 12th Avenue North

Nashville, TN 37203

615-244-0252 ext. 5102"

Wow. I'd be nervous about that. Not criticizing Gibson's method, I would just prefer to speak to a live human.

Some people are more trusting I guess. Hoss knew me an hour and he lent me a 50+ year old Martin overnight.

But then again, he knew I couldn't run very fast with sciatica and he is a long legged SOB.

Wow. I'd be nervous about that. Not criticizing Gibson's method' date=' I would just prefer to speak to a live human.

Some people are more trusting I guess. Hoss knew me an hour and he lent me a 50+ year old Martin overnight.

But then again, he knew I couldn't run very fast with sciatica and he is a long legged SOB.[/quote']

+1 on wanting to speak to a live human.

As for Hoss . . . he may have only known you for an hour but he had met you and that's different because in most cases you can soon get the measure of a person when you meet them. Well done Hoss, you must have impressed ksd.

Archived