Gibson Brands Forums

What's the point of a Relic finish?

This one goes to 11

I quess my info is from looking at "Tom Murphy" aged guitars.

I understand the "want" of the relic'ed stuff and agree with you' date=' but to me I would want an original '59 or so for the TONE. I don't think you can get that 50 year old tone and wood from Mr. Murphy. But at the same time if someone wants [u']just[/u] the looks and feel, by all means buy one!

-Rj

Sorry...yes, a Murphy aged will cost you a fortune...and no, you won't get the same sound as an original.

There's a thread on LPF where somebody took a new R9 and gave it the hot-cold treatment for a month to age it...made me cringe! Granted, it actually looks old from the pictures, but I don't know how you could do that to an expensive guitar??

I also agree. Fender distressed or aged or what ever they call it, looks like sh#t IMHO. I am not sure if the V.O.S. treatment would be considered a FAKE FINISH, but probably would be. Personally speaking, I was going for the sound and feel of a Goldtop and would actually have preferred a nice bright clean finish rather than the V.O.S. I just could not pass up the opportunity to own an R7 GT. O:)

As far as relicing goes' date=' how about this idea for a new money-spinning line of guitars?

1. Buy a stock guitar

2. Give it to a 'tame' famous guitarist to take on tour / beat the crap out of / generally abuse / disrespect

3. Sell it as '[b']Authentically relic'd by xxxxxxx[/b]' for loads of money (enough to pay xxxxxxx a fee and make yourself a handsome profit)

None of this 'artistic' relicing malarky, just good oldfashioned dents, scrapes and dings.

With the right marketing budget I can see this being a winner.

Plus it will provide endless new guitars and a new income stream to artists in the era of file-sharing revenue drought!

Actually, for some one who is more civic minded... follow your plan, only the guitar goes to charity... give it to "Make A Wish"... heck auction it off and use the money for whatever cause!

Now, if only I knew some one who was civic minded..... O:)

Buy a Les Paul

Remove all of the hardware.

Put the guitar in an industrial dryer filled with oil gunked chains. Run through the high heat cycle several times.

Remove the pieces, have luthier reassemble the neck pieces.

Place all of the hardware in salted battery acid for a day, don't forget the strings.

Reassemble the guitar.

Presto! An instant kewl relic that the kiddies will love!

Buy a Les Paul

Remove all of the hardware.

Put the guitar in an industrial dryer filled with oil gunked chains. Run through the high heat cycle several times.

Remove the pieces' date=' have luthier reassemble the neck pieces.

Place all of the hardware in salted battery acid for a day, don't forget the strings.

Reassemble the guitar.

Presto! An instant [i']kewl[/i] relic that the kiddies will love!

Isn't this what they do for a BFG?=P~

EDIT

oh never mind they don't reassemble te BFG do they?

BFGs are the paramilitary wing of The Les Paul Family. I've never been too sure how long you can stare at one before it nuts you or kneecaps you.

BTW, there must be a lorry load of BFG Truss Rod Covers roaming America, lost.

Archived