Gibson Brands Forums

East coast vintage gibson repair man

silverscottio

I have an LG-2 from somewhere between 1948 and 1952 that needs a neck reset, a new bridge, and possibly a refret and some regluing of any lose braces. I'm from the Philly area and I've been referred to David Sheppard down in South Carolina but I'm just wondering if there is anyone closer to me that is also qualified to make a new bridge and do such repairs. Thanks!

I've never had any work done there personally, but I've been to the store and they have some really nice "stuff"...

I played an old B-45-12 there that they did repairs on (I'm pretty sure a new bridge was one of the repairs) and it looked, sounded and played "better than new"..

They're in North Jersey (still a ways away from you but.. Closer than Carolina and possibly cheaper than NYC)...

Here's a link..

www.larkstreetmusic.com

There are some "South Jersey" folks around here as well. They may be able to offer up a suggestion or 2..

Steve Kovacik, one of the best http://www.guitar-repair.com/

Also, you might take it to Fred Oster's shop, right there in Philly. This is a dealer of all kinds of vintage instruments, and if his shop won't do the repairs, he can at least recommend someone well qualified to do it. http://www.vintage-instruments.com/navigate/catidx5.htm

David Sheppard is terrific too, by the way.

I actually called Fred Oster and he is the one who told me that David Sheppard might be a good choice. I think Vintage Instruments only does repairs mostly on violin family instruments. Fred said David does a lot of work on old gibsons and often makes new bridges for them. I talked to David and he was great, I'm just trying to see if it's possible to not have to ship the guitar hundreds of miles (especially in the winter) so Ill definitely check out Steve Kovacik. Thanks.

I have an LG-2 from somewhere between 1948 and 1952 that needs a neck reset' date=' a new bridge, and possibly a refret and some regluing of any lose braces. I'm from the Philly area and I've been referred to David Sheppard down in South Carolina but I'm just wondering if there is anyone closer to me that is also qualified to make a new bridge and do such repairs. Thanks![/quote']

I without any hesitation recommend Marty Fair of Fairbuilt Custom Guitars (fairbuilt.com). No job too big--he brought my '46 J-45 back from the junkpile.

The fellow you want is Randy Wood in Savannah. Hands down for what you want and most anything else! He was the repair guy that originally went into business with George Gruhn in Nashville back in the 70's. He is your man and very easy to get in touch with.

http://www.randywoodguitars.com/

A great choice, but I beleive the OP is trying to locate someone closer to home.

Archived