Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES 339 or Les Paul Studio?

Morea

Well that would be your decision but it all depends on what you want it for, Classical, blues jazz,rock etc. Personally I'd get a Les Paul but with that said, go with your gut.

I am a firm believer that the guitar finds the player rather than the player finds the guitar [biggrin]

Hope that helps a bit [biggrin]

I went and looked up the specs on the es 339 because I'm not that familiar with that model. I was really impressed that Gibson used maple and poplar with a mahogany neck. I also like the 57 pickups. Hmmm ......now you got me wondering . A studio is a few hundred $ cheaper but the ES 339 is very nice. Now I want to try one out !!!

Do you like apples or oranges better?

LP is potentially more versatile and suited to rock. I have a 339 and LPs, and it is a fantastic guitar. Personally I find BB Pros to be the best (to my ears) and I am thinking of swapping out the 57 classics for those in the 339.

I am almost inclined to say I like the 490s (studio) better than the 57 classics?

Anyway good advice is to try them both, see what range of music fits best for each. They're both awesome guitars.

Morea, ALL Les Pauls have mahogany bodies...except for the Raw Power, I think. I believe you're referring to the maple cap. Les Paul Studios have maple caps. The Studio Faded, or Vintage Mahogany...whatever you want to call it...is all mahogany. Studio - 490/498. Vintage Mahogany - Burstbucker Pros.

The only other LP with a mahogany top is the historic Custom. If you buy used, you might be able to find one for a bit more than a new 339.

i saw your es 339,it looks awesome,i have only washburn x50 pro,this will be my 4rd guitar if i buy it,i have hohner (acustic) and pacifica 112

EDIT:

i just played both models in guitar shop,man they are awesome,but in my opinion es 339 has little better sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sFC3WdHPxk

and of course i played lp from my friend,i think ill buy es 339,tnx for help

Archived