Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar paint question- May be easy!

mooboo

Wasn't sure if this was going to be an easy one or not, but I'm sure someone knows!

All of the experience I've had with aerosols has led me with a color that totally covers up all grain. As a project I decided to refinish a beat up Squire Telecaster. I would like to try out a triburst color but I'm not sure what type of spray to get that will allow the grain to still show. I've seen these sprays from ReRanch.com and other guitar sites that are like 16 bucks a can. There has to be an alternative!! I'm talking Home Depot/Lowes. Anyone lend a hand?

Sorry I don't have the answer for you but I have to ask since I am probably going to do a DIY paint job on a guitar next year. Regular spray paint works on guitars? I hve always heard it's some kind of trade secret. What else do you use to make it glossy?

I found this guitar under a bed in a house that the residents were evicted... was beat to death...it's refinished with DuPont Firemist Blue Lacquer' date=' (this was like 27 or 28 years ago).

This is how it looks today.

[img']http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/DSC01363.jpg[/img]

I found this guitar under a bed in a house that the residents were evicted... was beat to death...it's refinished with DuPont Firemist Blue Lacquer' date=' (this was like 27 or 28 years ago).

That looks great! Did you buy the paint at a specialty store or Lowe's/Home Depot?

That looks great! Did you buy the paint at a specialty store or Lowe's/Home Depot?

No... actually DuPont gave me the paint. I'm not sure they can even sell Lacquer anymore. I just told them what color I wanted, (it's a Cadillac color), and they mixed it and delivered it, (since we buy over 100 gallons of DuPont paint every day)

Rob, What strings are you using on that?

Well' date=' that's a fantastic finish on that bass, I compliment you on that. I'd never seen the black bass strings. It's a nice look. What is it about them you like?[/quote']

Thanks... I'd rather have the original Black finish on the guitar, but it had been pretty hammered before I bought it from the guy who owned the house it was left in, ($100). It didn't even have a case.

Of course, the reason I got the Black Beauties was because they complimented the finish on the guitar, (I was already using them on my Strat).

They're hand made, and sound warm and "bassy". I had an old set of flatwound strings on it, and they were "dead" sounding. These have more resonance.

Bob

He wasn't asking what brand of condom you use!

So...I drew the short straw and got to be the one who went into the drug store to buy condoms...we were all 16 or under. And, of course, the only person available to help me was an older woman. After much stammering, something about my older brother...I managed to make her understand what it was I wanted. "Large or small?" she asked, smilingly. Well, hell, I was a MAN...I wasn't ABOUT to say "small". I told her "Large, of course" and she handed me a frigging CASE of the damn things.

But I digress...

So...I drew the short straw and got to be the one who went into the drug store to buy condoms...we were all 16 or under. And' date=' of course, the only person available to help me was an older woman. After much stammering, something about my older brother...I managed to make her understand what it was I wanted. "Large or small?" she asked, smilingly. Well, hell, I was a MAN...I wasn't ABOUT to say "small". I told her "Large, of course" and she handed me a frigging CASE of the damn things.

But I digress...[/quote']

Some of the packing of guitar strings resemble some of the condom packages...

So...I drew the short straw and got to be the one who went into the drug store to buy condoms...we were all 16 or under. And' date=' of course, the only person available to help me was an older woman. After much stammering, something about my older brother...I managed to make her understand what it was I wanted. "Large or small?" she asked, smilingly. Well, hell, I was a MAN...I wasn't ABOUT to say "small". I told her "Large, of course" and she handed me a frigging CASE of the damn things.

But I digress...[/quote']

Okay... I'll tell you a true story...but first... to finish off your story.... I go into a drug store to buy condoms for the first time.... (ordering the Extra Large, of course), and I asked the guy "how much?". He said "$2 + tax". I said "Tacks? I thought you just rolled them on!"

Anyway.... true story.... when I was in 'Nam, I was the Battery Clerk, (155 mm Artillery). The guns were out in the field, but close to a Montagnard Village, so the guys were sneaking into the village and bringing back VD.

The Captain told me to go to the PX and buy condoms for the Battery, (I was down in Phu Loi).

I went to the PX and the cashier was a young Vietnamese girl. I put the case of condoms on the counter, she looked shyly at me and said, "Big date tonight, GI?"

Bob

Archived