Gibson Brands Forums

My new Guitar and Amp cabinet...*Phaze III* Completed!!

duane v

Well I figured it was time to have my instruments out of sight and mind, especially now that the monsters are older, and more and more kids are finding their way down to the "music room."[blink]

So I purchased a rather large wardrobe closet from IKEA[biggrin] ..... It will easily hold 8 guitars using the "guitar-hanger system," and house some of my other instruments, recording stuff, and my worthless spare parts. The price was great and it's made of solid pine. I'll have to adjust the doors a little better, and I also ordered a more heavy duty hanging rod, and some battery powered closet lighting.

By the time it's finished I will have $580 total into it[cool]

PC020017b.jpg

PC020015b.jpg

PC020016b.jpg

PC020018b.jpg

guitar%20hangers-%20aus-rob.jpg

Nice !

where did you find the hangers' date=' I need a few of those in the paint booth![/quote']

I purchased one right now to make sure it's not too long... I'm also fabbing one as well. Then I'll decide in which direction I'll go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-Stand-for-Closet-NEW-The-Guitar-Hanger_W0QQitemZ350280196927QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518e53a33f

Duane...

It's beautiful as well as beautifully functional... But one question. Frankly the hangers scare the socks off me. Also the lack of separation between the instruments.

???

That was a concern, but I found this cool poster board at office depot to keep the guitars separated... It's padded about 1/8" thick, so this should keep the guitars from beating each other up.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/858394/Office-Depot-Fluorescent-Poster-Boards-22/

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to build something like Neo has and not have

to worry about the guitars hitting each other. One little push and ding ding

ding even if you put the dividers in that won't look very good.

CW

It probably would be a little cheaper, but I simply do not have the time or the cabinet making tools or skill to take on such a project. Plus I felt for $340, a solid pine cabinet was a good deal for what I'm trying to accomplish.

As for the looks, I'm not going for the display cabinet effect. It's basically to keep my instruments out of view when not in use.

I'm very careful with all my instruments, even when I gigged regularly I always kept my guitars in pristine shape. Certainly I will look into better options that will keep the guitars from swinging, (like the ceiling mount in the link below).

https://www.stringswing.com/products/product_info.php?product_id=644&ref_category=10

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to build something like Neo has and not have

to worry about the guitars hitting each other. One little push and ding ding

ding even if you put the dividers in that won't look very good.

CW

I think Neo posted his approximate costs on his latest piece and it wasn't cheaper than a few hundred bucks. Not by a long shot.

I think Neo posted his approximate costs on his latest piece and it wasn't cheaper than a few hundred bucks. Not by a long shot.

I'm not talking about building a whole new cabinet just adding what Neo has

to set the guitars in. Putting that in DV's cabinet that he just bought. 2 pieces of

Pine. 1 with slots to put the necks in and one to cut into strips for the bodies to

keep them apart. All you would need is a jigsaw. I just don't like the hangers.

If the cabinet is not attached to a wall to hold it steady one bump and everything

will swing.

CW

Nice duane v' date=' I would be happy if I could change shirts like you change guitars...[/quote']

LOL!!!! I have over 20 electric guitars......when you play for over 35 years, you can collect quite a bit of stuff..... I only keep seven guitars readily available

I'm not talking about building a whole new cabinet just adding what Neo has

to set the guitars in. Putting that in DV's cabinet that he just bought. 2 pieces of

Pine. 1 with slots to put the necks in and one to cut into strips for the bodies to

keep them apart. All you would need is a jigsaw. I just don't like the hangers.

If the cabinet is not attached to a wall to hold it steady one bump and everything

will swing.

CW

My error. And a valid consideration, the swinging. I suspect Duane will address it to his satisfaction. After all, the whole purpose of putting them in the cabinet is protection, rather than display. Like you, I might prefer something a bit less prone to movement. I'm going to school on all you guys as I still have one un-committed wall in my shop/garage/bike barn/ man-cave/ music room that will ultimately be the guitar storage area. I'm leaning towards display at this point, as opposed to simple storage.

Nice cab Duane. Probably would be a really good idea to get locks for the door too. Kids have been known to open doors. If the interest strikes the kids, get them a Squire strat and amp. Be a pal and put it in it's own locking cab too and give him the key. He'll appreciate that.

If he and his buds have an ax to grind, it'll put them off trying to pick the locks... for a while.

It should also give the youngster respect for the music room if it is partially 'his'.

Oh, and another thing. If you have kids and cabinets or dressers of this size, make sure they are screwed securely to the wall. Kids being kids, they can sometimes induce these things to fall over. If that happens, your guitars will be the least of your worries. Bookshelves too.

Thanx for the tip[cool]

My wife has a "no-locks" rule..... My monsters are good about things and they are teenagers (except for one ). They play instruments as well, so I do want them to have access to them. It's more of a concern when their friends come over. But my kids have been told they are in complete charge of their friends, and under no circumstance their pals be allowed to have any control, or have any decision making when it comes to our house rules.... PEROID!!!

Very nice. I don't have kids, but I remember how angry my dad would get if he caught me messing around in his office or with any of his personal belongings. It used to give me a huge rush breaking into the office and snooping around. In hindsight, it also taught me a little lesson about privacy and respect. This is completely understandable, Duane. I would not want any "monster" or especially disrespectful, careless monster friends messing with something as meaningful and fragile as a guitar. It would probably scare the hell out of me just imagining what those dirty little teenage fingers are doing to your axes.

You're right.

Not by a long shot.

But it sure did make Mrs. Neo happy' date=' so it was worth the price.

Good job Duane, but - IKEA?

<shivers up the spine...>

[biggrin

(Actually one of my cabinets came from the Hobby Lobby - but still......)

duane' date=' is that an ac50? do tell about that combo amp! what kind of power and preamp tubes?[/quote']

Yes it is..... As for what type of tubes I couldn't tell you, but the amp sounds great, and if you like I can post some sound demos?????

Good job Duane' date=' but - IKEA?

<shivers up the spine...>

(Actually one of my cabinets came from the Hobby Lobby - but still......)[/quote']

[biggrin] LOL....... at least it's solid wood (pine) and not some compressed particle board stuff, which was all I could find until this popped up...LOL

AC50 demo request

Neck pup using the Keeley Compressor and MXR Analog Carbon Copy Delay.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Bridge pup using the Keeley Compressor and MXR 1979 green box analog delay

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S54rECneASA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Bridge pup just the amp and some reverb...no effects

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Bridge pup just the amp and the 1979 green box MXR Delay (Rhythm and lead tracks)

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Looks nice Duane but scares the sh*t out of me... There are some nasty dings just waiting to happen there. Where do you store your cases? I built this,

DSC03493.jpg

doesn't take up much room, looks good, protects and solves storage problems while keeping everything at an arms reach.

Archived