Gibson Brands Forums

anybody slangin' guitars?

jameswithesg

no really are there any of you collectors that buy a an axe every now and then and flip em later for more cash than you paid?

kinda of an appealing idea

Not me... I won't buy a guitar unless I like it, and therefore won't ever let it go, (maybe that's why I have like a dozen!)

Never. I am a musician that buys instruments to play them. The small handful of guitars I have sold were either because I was broke and needed to pay rent or because I did not play the instrument anymore. It was never to turn a profit.

It is collectors and people looking to flip an instrument that have ruined the used guitar market. Go find another hobby.

Yes. I do. Buy-em and flip-em on Evil-bay

I'm blueshawkmandude "The Dude With the Stuff in The House of Hair"

and also Several others on Ebay.

It's Great because I test drive alot of Guitars and have learned

1. It's real hard to let go.

2. You never know what Sounds Great.

Mainly Made in U.S.A & M.I.J & Some Korean

Yes. I do. Buy-em and flip-em on Evil-bay

I'm blueshawkmandude "The Dude With the Stuff in The House of Hair"

and also Several others on Ebay.

It's Great because I test drive alot of Guitars and have learned

1. It's real hard to let go.

2. You never know what Sounds Great.

Mainly Made in U.S.A & M.I.J & Some Korean

so do you make more cash on em? or is it just a good method of testing so many guitars to find the right one?

About 6800 hundred in the last 90 days and I'm about to

list another large lot of about 10 or so and will be Expanding

to other catagories and yes its a way to weed out and keep

some real nice ones.

And it seems the real old cheep ones sound & play better

than most

I don't and I don't view them as investments. I wish others wouldn't, either.

I've only sold guitars because I bought better ones and with the exception of one SG, I lost money on each one I sold.

It is collectors and people looking to flip an instrument that have ruined the used guitar market. Go find another hobby.

That's the problem. There's money to be made and people take full advantage of it.

doing it is easy...there are always guitars for sale and always people willing to buy them...the problem is making money doing it!

haha

if you want to make money doing it you have only a few options...one is save up enough bankroll to buy quality vintage instruments of a good pedigree...

you need to store it like it was the mona lisa...make sure its as original as they come...and never play it!

it might take a while to unload at a decent margin but its do-able...

the other option is wait for something pretty standard to come out at a great great price...and then sell it for close to retail for a smaller profit...or find someone desperate to liquidate goods, etc...

but again youre gonna have smaller margins on these types of transactions unless they are pretty unaware of the market...which is almost impossible thanks to the internet!

specialty is always better than run of the mill...

for example...

i bought this guitar for myself...knowing its a player and not a museum piece...

IMG_0548.jpg

i looked for one for over a year and a half...and jumped at the opportunity to own this...

its modified which makes it useless to collectors...but players know about its pro's...

after posting it on the internet to get more info...and just show off...i received two offers for it...one for almost double what i payed...

i was polite and told both no...in fact i let the second guy know he was offering me double..and i pointed him in a direction where he could get his own...

like i said this is for me!

but needless to say...certain guitars just scream out to investors and rich players all over the world...its finding one at a good price thats the hard part!

i almost bought an epiphone texan with McCartney's signature in the soundhole...figured i could cater to two potential markets...Beatles fans and guitar fans...but i never pulled the trigger because those guitars were at the time still available to the general public and i didnt want to buy a guitar...and store it for 10 years in order to have a hot commodity...

i would have played the hell out of it and the value wouldnt have been what it should be when i was ready to unload it...

so search for some interesting stuff!

and good luck to you!

Archived