Gibson Brands Forums

A Fitting Case for a '57 J-50?

Azazello

Hey. I'm wondering if anyone hereabouts knows of a good case for an old J-50/J-45. Mine isn't adequate. I'd like to find a tight-fitting hard shell, and would like a period feel as long as the case is solid.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Azazello

Suburude: Been using a generic hard case for twenty years...not a snug fit. I've decided to start babying this one, thus the search for a snug fit. Been looking at Ameritage cases.

Gilliangirl: I am afradi to comment about your quivering bottom lip, but yes. And if you come over and quiver here you can play it all you want. My luthier, Tony Nobles, says it's the last of the great ones.

fp: thanks. I'll check them out. Should I worry about specific dimensions with a case designed for sloped shoulders, or will they all be about the same?

I have a brand new Gibson Acoustic hardshell case I'd be willing to sell ya. My Southern Jumbo TV came in it. I contacted Gibson and they sent me the period-correct brown case with the lavender lining. So this case is brand new and in the box. It's black with the dark blue lining and the "Gibson acoustic" logo on the side. A good snug fit for my Southern Jumbo, so it'll accept a standard J-45 also. If your J-50 has the same dimensions, it 's for you! PM me if you are interested.

This thread led me on a search for information on interchanging cases among Gibson models--underlying question, will a J-45/50 fit in a case designed for a j-200? I was surprised to find that there is no simple way (unless I missed it) to get the dimensions of the various Gibson models. Visually, the J-200 looks fairly different in shape than the 45/50 (to me, anyway) and that a case designed for the former would not be a true fit for the latter. However, looks can be deceiving and I'm hoping some forum member with examples of each model can comment definitively. larryp58, when you say the Southern Jumbo case will "accept a standard J-45" could you comment on whether it is a precise fit or an approximation?

Incidentally, i am interested independent of whether larryp58's case would be a good deal for the OP, as I have my own guitar/case decision to ponder. However, the question of interchangeability may be useful to the OP as well as others.

larryp58' date=' when you say the Southern Jumbo case will "accept a standard J-45" could you comment on whether it is a precise fit or an approximation[/quote']

A Southern Jumbo is actually a J-45 with extra "bling". Parallelogram position markers, fretboard binding, and the pickguard are the visual differences. The body dimensions are the same. So I would say, yes, it would be a precise fit. As far as a J-50 being the same size as a J-45, I think it's the same. I'm not 100% sure, though. That's up to Azazello to find out!!! Anyway, I got a case for a SJ or J-45 if anyones interested!

Archived