Gibson Brands Forums

hey guys help please

hendrix456

Classic's pup combo aren't for everybody...definitely play one before you buy.

You should be more specific when you say gold top...there's more than just one. There's gold top Standards and several Custom Shop gold tops too.

A new Standard is around $2,200 here. I'd say you should expect to pay anywhere between $1,700 - $1,900 for a second hand GT in mint condition. Custom Shop guitars will cost more...much more.

Be careful, there are plenty of fake Chinese Gold Tops doing the rounds, Make sure you check it over first and don't rush in blind to any ebay auction. The guys here are very knowledgeable and can help vet anything you're thinking of buying. Just post some good pics.

Buy from reputable dealers if you can afford to. You'll pay a little more though than Craigslist bargains.

All those mentioned are great guitars. Standards and Classics are pretty rare to find, so you'll have to hunt around. Just don't be too eager to pull the trigger when you find one!

Classics have ceramic pickups.

Unless you're playing metal exclusively, you will spend more money later to replace them.

Get a good Standard, should be easy if you don't need a 60 slim taper neck.

There are more and more of the slim necks around now too, just shop around.

Looking at a used one, get the serial number and call Gibson.

They will tell you what it is, if there's anything special or unique about it you didn't notice.

I love my Classic, but the pickups sucked.

I put BurstBucker Pro's in it, they come in all the new LP Standards now.

57 Classics would be my first choice.

Don't trade the Epi, you won't get squat for it.

If you do, it's because they are marking up the new one you are buying to make up for it.

Oldest car sales trick in the book.

Sell it outright, you'll get more money.

Some dealers won't even take them in trade because new ones sell so cheap already.

Good luck.

Archived