Gibson Brands Forums

Lucky Save

jeff5341

I work for a small college in North Carolina and had to play for about 200 people at the college Christmas party today. I was playing solo and had to follow the college Jazz band and the college choir, both of which are very good so I was a bit nervous. I am primarily a singer and use my guitar for accompaniment. I was getting my stuff ready about 5 minutes before time to go on and I discovered I had thumb and finger picks but somehow I did not have a flat pick. Our jazz band doesn't have a guitar player and the choir only uses piano so i couldn't borrow a pick and with the set list I had worked up I had to have a flat pick. I find Christmas songs hard to play so to perform them in public they have to be songs I have practiced and am comfortable with so I couldn't change my set list. I scrambled around and the only thing I could find was a plastic knife, I broke off the last 2 inches of the blade and with trepidation went on stage. I won't say it was great but I did pull it off. Let me say though that I do not recommend the tip of a plastic knife as a pick, those suckers are hard to hold onto. The only saving grace was that I was playing my SWD and nothing can really make it sound that bad.

Am I the only one to forget something as important as a pick? [biggrin]

I work for a small college in North Carolina and had to play for about 200 people at the college Christmas party today. I was playing solo and had to follow the college Jazz band and the college choir' date=' both of which are very good so I was a bit nervous. I am primarily a singer and use my guitar for accompaniment. I was getting my stuff ready about 5 minutes before time to go on and I discovered I had thumb and finger picks but somehow I did not have a flat pick. Our jazz band doesn't have a guitar player and the choir only uses piano so i couldn't borrow a pick and with the set list I had worked up I had to have a flat pick. I find Christmas songs hard to play so to perform them in public they have to be songs I have practiced and am comfortable with so I couldn't change my set list. I scrambled around and the only thing I could find was a plastic knife, I broke off the last 2 inches of the blade and with trepidation went on stage. I won't say it was great but I did pull it off. Let me say though that I do not recommend the tip of a plastic knife as a pick, those suckers are hard to hold onto. The only saving grace was that I was playing my SWD and nothing can really make it sound that bad.

Am I the only one to forget something as important as a pick? [crying

I carry a pick in my wallet just 'cause of that. I used to carry other things in my wallet...but since my wife had me neutered, not need for anything 'cept the pick!

I keep extra pick(s) in my wallet, in my car, there's about a 100 in my case, my coats, etc...

I used to play horn in a band, and our guitarist never had a pick. He had to scrounge one from someone every gig, and it really frustrated me. I got to carrying picks in my trumpet case. When I picked up guitar I swore I'd never be that guy who brought the show to a screeching halt on account of a penny's worth of plastic.

I keep extra pick(s) in my wallet' date=' in my car, there's about a 100 in my case, my coats, etc...

I used to play horn in a band, and our guitarist never had a pick. He had to scrounge one from someone every gig, and it really frustrated me. I got to carrying picks in my trumpet case. When I picked up guitar I swore I'd never be that guy who brought the show to a screeching halt on account of a penny's worth of plastic.[/quote']

I've actually USED a penny!!

All the years being a gigging bass player I became very comfortable without a pick. In fact it feels awkward even to hold onto one. I drop them all the time. I fingerpick about 80% of the time and seem to be able to control my volume and attack better w/o a pick. I need to learn to use a thumbpick better.

Archived