Gibson Brands Forums

X Mas Number 1 Battle and a finger up to X Factor

Duende

Sorry Sear, just read your thread having posted by own.

It's think it's a shame that a home grown talent such as Jock McIndahoose has his career, which would otherwise have undoubtly lasted into the next century, highjacked by a couple from Essex with a myface account.

It's going to be miserable Friday morning in the Cowell household. Maybe Father Xmas will get him something really special, like a RATM cd?

The Joe McElderberry single, a Miley Cyrus classic, made #2 in the UK Charts, whilst Rage Against The Machine's track from back in 1992 reached #1 for Christmas.

Strangely, Joe only managed 450,000 sales - even though some 19,000,000 people watched him win the X-Factor, and over 6,100,000 votes were cast for him on the day. Where were they when he needed them.....

Still - Cowell is happy - both McElderflower and RATM are on Sony - to whom Cowell is contracted since 2005.

Laughing all the way to the bank.

The Joe McElderberry single' date=' a Miley Cyrus classic, made #2 in the UK Charts, whilst [i']Rage Against The Machine[/i]'s track from back in 1992 reached #1 for Christmas.

Strangely, Joe only managed 450,000 sales - even though some 19,000,000 people watched him win the X-Factor, and over 6,100,000 votes were cast for him on the day. Where were they when he needed them.....

Still - Cowell is happy - both McElderflower and RATM are on Sony - to whom Cowell is contracted since 2005.

Laughing all the way to the bank.

Your right Nik, but his ego is so overblown, I hope he really is p*ssed off by this!

Cowell is chuffed to nuts with the whole debacle.....

His entire corporate team has been run ragged,

and he is thrilled to see them all working so hard.

He thanked Jon Morter (organiser of the RATM campaign) for, and I quote:-

"the best chart battle in years"

Since either winning banked dosh for Simon, you can't blame him really.

I disagree that Simon Cowell 'wins' either way; here is the reason why.

Despite Sony being Cowell's label and both opposing acts being on this label; X factor, American Idol, Britain's Got Talent (and it's various versions around the world) are all a successful package; that up until this point, hadn't been challenged on such a large scale.

The show of hands (by the silent majority) who don't support this method of presenting music is a potential threat and danger to the reality tv method/formula.

Another way I am looking at it, (I am being devil's advocate here[biggrin] ) is that for every person like Will Young and Kelly Clarkson etc, that is 'discovered' through shows like the idol shows', tens or hundreds of other bands/acts will not have been given the chance that once upon a time thy may have.

Maybe that is progress in music the reality tv method? Who knows?

Anyway; I am observing all of this through a window that I am not part of. Figures recently published said c.2000 units was the amount of copies a popular classical cd will sell nowadays!!, so 'making it big' is something me and other guys who do what I do; don't have our sights on. Personally speaking; some nice reviews and being able to do what I want (without compromise) is enough.O:)

Matt

Hi Therminonik

For the most part yes; but, there are also times when the hire of the venue can exceed the money from the audience.

Thankfully this has only happened once! As a soloist (a very stubborn one too who refuses to play crowd pleasing well known pieces) I am strangely quite lucky with audience sizes, maybe because I use myspace a lot and stay in touch with people.

To give you an idea; my American friend saw Julian Bream, one of the giants of the Classical guitar, in New York several years back and the audience was around 150. I am lucky to get 100. Often a recital can be 20-30 people.

My friend conducts an orchestra who play regularly at St Martin and The Fields in London and many times in the last year,they have run at a loss[crying] . They and many other Classical musicians can keep going because of arts council grants etc.

Things are very hard for classical music in these recent times. Simon Cowell manafactures 'boy bands' made of classical trained singers, singing things like the theme from Titanic and arrangements of well known pieces. This is not classical music, but is what many people think is now. That is certainly a negative of what reality tv has done to culture.

Matt

You know what REALLY endears you to me, Matt.....

You explain things to me like I am a hick from the sticks. An example, I quote:-

"...my American friend saw Julian Bream, one of the giants of the Classical guitar, in New York..."

Like maybe I hadn't heard of JB. Man - I was one of those mortified when he busted his arm up back in the mid-eighties, having been blown away by the man playing Villa Lobos with the LSO waaay back when I was like twenty odd.

"Often a recital can be 20-30 people."

I was born, raised and worked the first thirty-five years of my life in the smoke - many a Monday, Tuesday of Friday lunchtime was whiled away at St.Martin-in-the-Fields in the company of a handful of listeners eager to hear whatever was on offer that day. Or nearer to hand - odd performances at St.Bartholomew the Great..... lucky to get a dozen on a good day. The Barbican attracted more - but not to everything, and I sat a few times in an almost empty hall listening to wonderful music from the LSO or aunty Beeb's orchestra. When I wasn't performing Cage/Glass/Stockhausen. To audiences of maybe ten here, fifteen there.....

Your point about classical music is very well made.

The vast majority of listeners now identify classical music using phrases like:-

That Levi music (Saraband / Handel)

That cigar advert (Air on the G string / Bach)

Them Ragu sauce commercials (Barber of Seville / Rossini)

The Bailey's tune (Tales of Hoffman / Offenbach)

But then - they read the Sun and watch TV..... Cowell has them just where he wants them.

"You know what REALLY endears you to me, Matt.....

You explain things to me like I am a hick from the sticks."

LMAO ,

Put your super tennants down and relax !! (that was a joke before you kill me!!)

I suppose my job gets into me 'off duty' more than I realise[biggrin] ; mind you, there are loads of people I have met that haven't heard of Julian Bream!

But apologies, I just don't assume anything as a tutor; so it seeps into life outside of my job.

I attended a great (and depressing) lecture about sales of classical music, that said the in 2006, one percent of all sales were classical music cds and of that one percent, another one percent was music written by composers in the last forty years.

A big hug sent to you[biggrin]

Matt

Well - sometime in the mid seventies they got a choir of some sort. We were either staggering back from some acid fueled gig or out and about doing a bit of business when we heard this incredible sound - or maybe we were in the crypt (they did coffee and stuff back then). Whatever - I discovered baroque, and better yet, discovered they did regular performances of stuff, for free. I remember seeing the Romero brothers there, couple of Spanish pickers. Mostly just a haze of music that soothed the troubled soul in a place that was weirdly special, like Glastonbury used to be, or Stone Henge once upon a time. Or London, for that matter.

Julian Bream? Wasn't he a fish caught by that John Williams geezer.....

Archived