Gibson Brands Forums

Did someone mention heavy metal from The Land of the Rising Sun?

RichCI

I thought so...

Loudness - Akira Takasaki on guitar. This guy RIPS! I caught Loudness in concert by accident; I went to City Gardens in Trenton NJ with some friends who wanted to see Keel play but Keel didn't make it that night. Instead, Loudness played. I thought, "Japanese heavy metal? WTF?" These guys SMOKED and I was an instant fan.

Sung in Japanese:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

From the 80's (trying to look like Motley Crue):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTz-YIVnke0[/YOUTUBE]

I soooo want that guitar - orange Killer KG Prime

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Aw man, ya gotta give them credit. I remember reading an interview with Minoru Niihara (singer) and he was discussing how difficult it was for him to sing their songs in English when they recorded "Thunder In The East." He worked his *** off to get the pronunciation as good as he could get it.

I hope they tour the states again, I know they have in the not so distant past. I'd love to see them again.

Akira Takasaki is one of the few metal guitar players who really left a heavy impression on me - not that my playing ISN'T influenced a lot by metal. With him, a lot of it had to do with tone and just playing really tasty parts. The other big influences are Dave Davies, Ace Frehley and Gregg Ginn. They are my Big Four.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Loudness in 198something open for Motley Crue and was very impressed. I was never a big Crue fan anyway, but thought Loudness was much better. Especially the guitar playing.

There was a rumor (not sure if true) that Akira was rushed to the hospital after the show because of an OD.

Archived