Gibson Brands Forums

pin sizes

davenumber2

Does anybody know which of the 3 sizes of bridge pins on Bob Colosi's site for Gibsons (size 1, 1.3T, or 2A) is the right one for a J-45 Standard? I didn't know if Gibson uses different pin sizes for different models or just randomly uses different sizes on all models. I'd prefer not to have to measure because I don't have a caliper.

I will say 2A also... that is what I got from Bob C. for my Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I think I may have sanded down the low E string pin a bit, but I pretty much always pull them and put them back in the same hole they came out of. That way, my sanded E pin stays in the E slot. Sanding was easy, just wrap some fine grade sandpaper around the pin and all you really need to do is sand down the top part a bit to fit snug.

I'm new and trying to learn. What are the advantages to changing the end pins? I have a J45 standard 09. Is this something that I would want to do and why? Thanks.........

The end pin, where the strap attaches, is solely for looks.

The bridge pins, however, will effect tone based on their material, due to differences in mass.

Size 2A and/or you can always just send Bob your plastic pins and he'll match them. My 2A dropped right in with no modification. There has been many threads about pins, just do a search, Colosi makes the best looking, no doubt.

Also the below thread has a photo of my Colosi pins and the Brass PINZ I am now using. I switch back and forth sometimes when I change strings . But if you are going to bone, it is definately better than plastic., and consider no other than the Colosi's.

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=23045&p=2

I'm new and trying to learn. What are the advantages to changing the end pins? I have a J45 standard 09. Is this something that I would want to do and why? Thanks.........

Hi Pass...

The bridge pin debate has been going on for ages. Like strings' date=' saddle or nut material, in my opinion, bridge pins are part of the equation for tone. Grant you, it is a small part, but I think the bone pins I got from Bob Colosi brought some added sustain and made my AJ, just a bit mellower, which I liked. But more than tone, I just didn't like plastic pins in my guitar. I currently have a bone nut, bone saddle and bone bridge pins. The double inlay pins I got look great and were a pretty cheap upgrade in my opinion.

Here are a couple photos..

[img']http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/lofapco/Peace_Dove_Strap.jpg[/img]

PICT3326.jpg

Archived