Gibson Brands Forums

How did you know you'd gotten good?

Izzy

When I stopped thinking about Scales and Positions. The whole fret board just made sense one day.

I realized I had a lot of Potential when I was jamming with the guy who showed me my lead scales by the third "lesson". And I showed him a pretty cool chord substitution for a Jazz version of Stairway he was working on. I had only been playing seriously for about a year at the time.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a lot younger, about 25 years ago and I used to bring my equipment to my friends apartment and jam by myself at the quarterbarrel parties we had. Everyone would just sit in awe and watch me play (mostly RUSH).

Lately, when I listen to a song in my car and start playing it that evening for the first time. Things seem to come easier after 40 years of playing.

Years ago when everytime I'd play for somebody new, they'd want me to teach them how to play.

Got to be a problem actually. I finally got to the point where I would tell them to go get a guitar and teach themselves to pick single notes acurately to their favorite songs then I would teach them.....Never got a taker.

I figured that is how I learned....to pick to Kiss songs with no help from anyone. I learned chords from a book. At that point.....A friend tought me the more detailed tricks. I can only teach the way I learned. I have no patience to teach BTW.

In fact......I HATE to teach. I just want to play!!!

When I made myself smile for the first time while playing my guitar.

When my wife stopped giving me "the look" and said my playing was soothing. Took a year...

I used to threaten my kids with my guitar if they wouldn't get out of bed. My youngest finally got up and said "Dad, they finally sound like songs, that doesn't work anymore. I was laying in bed listening instead of burying my head in the pillows." That took a year and a month...

When I started looking for a better guitar and my wife didn't argue, but did say sell the other one's first.

Going back some *coughs - 39 years playing in our garage band and the neighbors, adults and kids, would stop by and listen, putting their right foot down and some dancing around.

When the neighbors stopped calling the police on me complaining about the noise.

When I learn a new song quicker than the last one.

When I made myself smile again.

Great topic Lizzy! And Cruz, you old fart, still make it worthwhile to come back and read your replies...[biggrin]

Archived