Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar stands revisted

hlarry14

The issue of guitar stands VS. guitar finishes seems to come up fairly often here. There are usually recommendations for good quality stands that folks have had good luck with, and many suggest covering the foam on cheaper stands (or even on the nicer ones) with cotton. I have a bunch of cheap stands, and did the covering with cotton thing on them, but it looked horrible and was inconvenient – the cotton would often fall off. I went to Wal-Mart and bought some very soft fleece material, and my wife sewed covers for all my stands. The picture below of the covers looks kinda nasty – sorry about that. You can see that one side of each open end has a split for about an inch – that allows them to overlap on the stand, keeping all contact points protected. I’ve been using these for quite a while now with nitro finished and poly finished guitars, with no problems at all.

If you have someone in your house that can sew, this is a fairly easy and inexpensive way to use any cheaper stands you may already have.

covers1.jpg

covers2.jpg

stand1.jpg

There's still the dark dye to worry about.

Don't get me wrong, that's a mile better than the foam, but I like white so I KNOW the problem is solved.

Dyes are usually colorfast, but it wouldn't hurt to wash the hell out of them in hot water just to be sure.

I used cotton bath towels and Velcro - thanks to my wonderful Mother in law.

3374000155_1c52f043ea.jpg

NeoConMan, I agree about the white thing. I also really like that guitar rack. I need one of those . . . any info on who makes them etc would be appreciated. Does it fit acoustics too? And can it be folded up to take to gigs? Thanks.

Yeah, they are made by Warwick, called the Rockstand.

Comes in 3, 5, and 7 capacity models, you can put acoustics on them too but it takes up more room.

I found the 7 to be perfect for 5 guitars so you don't bump them together.

I have one 5 and four of the 7 models, they've been great for several years.

Got 'em at Guitar Center, expect the screws to be missing from the box if you go there.

Long story there, to go with so many other Guitar Center stories...

But hey, they usually have them in stock.

Take the floor model if you can, save a couple bucks and you know all the damned screws and caps are there.

I peeled off the decals, took them apart and spray-painted them flat black.

They look much better that way.

They are pretty sturdy, stable, and yes, they will fold up for thin storage.

p17241.jpg

Here's some links to see what they look like;

The first is what I have.

http://answers.shopping.com/xPO-Warwick-Warwick-7-Guitar-Stand~linkin_id-8001584

Here's the 5 model.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RSTRS5

This one is made differently, instead of two bars on the bottom it looks like one continuous tube.

It won't come all the way apart. I've never had one so I can't recommend it.

http://compare.ebay.com/spid/41278377?fl=220502577140&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=vl&sort=PricePlusShippingLowest

Yeah Laaz,

I tried one of those myself after seeing lotsa club musicians using them - didn't like it.

Price, for starters, and it just wasn't as secure.

You have no room to alter the lean angle of the guitars, and I was worried about hard edges creating scratches.

We don't have GC over here

Ah, I see....

U.K.

:-

I hear ya NeoConMan. I was looking for something similar, but with my Explorers I couldn't find anything where they would sit correctly without sliding out. I ended up getting Ultimate stands so I wouldn't have to stick a jack in the input to keep the guitars on regular stands...

Did you take that pic at Guitar Center?

I'm not kidding, I've seen it almost that bad on some of their very expensive display pieces.

I have the slightest beginnings of shadows/darkening in the finish on one of my Les Pauls and my 335.

Once you see it, it's too damned late to do anything about it.

Did you take that pic at Guitar Center?

Haha... No it's from a Ebay auction, but your right I have seen them like that at our local GC. I have given up on GC. Last time I was there I wanted a black switch tip for one of my Explorers. They said they didn't stock them anymore. I asked to order one & they said they couldn't... Went down the street to a mom & pop Gibson dealer & had it in 3 days... Go figure.

I have also Warwick Rockstand, for three guitars. Nice stand.Sturdy enough for gigging too.

It is very handy because it`s folding and once you build it up, you don`t have to remove any screws etc.

Nuts are nylon-lock type, so they are not missing once you fix them in place.

In it`s trade description was mentioned it is not making damage for nitro finished instruments, I have used it with my LP, Firebird and Strat, all them are fine so far.

trade description was mentioned it is not making damage for nitro finished instruments' date='

I have used it with my LP, Firebird and Strat, all them are fine[/quote']

So far....

They're lying to you, all of them do.

The people making those stands do not produce the foam rubber - they buy it from a vendor.

It is thermally molded into the desired shape and then put on a stand to be sold around the world.

They count on the fact that it may take a few years to cause damage, and who knows what country they're in?

Good luck getting any legal action going.

They figure you will buy the stand, throw away the receipt, and never come back again....

Foam rubber is a petroleum product.

Ask anybody familiar with lacquers who paints guitars, cars, whatever, they will tell you it will react with foam.

Believe them.

If the people making the lacquer tell you it will react, believe them.

If the people at Gibson (whose warranty does not cover finish issues of any kind) tell you, believe them.

If the people who have seen it happen first hand, with every brand out there tell you, believe them.

Several guys here have used Hercules stands with good luck - so far.

Thus, you will see the testimonials and such, but I ain't buying it.

Give it time.

I'm willing to accept that I might be wrong, but I will NOT have any more guitars with fxcked-up finishes.

Especially when the fix is so stupefyingly simple.

Thanks for your post,Neo...pure fact.

I used cotton bath towels and Velcro - thanks to my wonderful Mother in law.

3374000155_1c52f043ea.jpg

-So it seems you have to be nice for your mother in law to get your whole rack protected [biggrin]

-I use the stand for gigs, not for storage, but as you point out, cotton cover would help avoid a lot of harms in time...

Yeah, my mother in law ROCKS!!!

She's the Original little old Church Lady, bless her heart.

I still have my Quik Lock A-frame stands for temporary use, both at home and at gigs.

I just make an effort to limit the Gibson's time on them.

Like I stated before, one of my Les Pauls and my 335 already suffered the staining from them.

You can see from the above photo that I have a $$$$$ Rickenbacker and an even more $$$$$$ PRS.

They are enamel finishes, cured and stable. They've been on the same stand 24/7 for years - just fine.

Archived