Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup rings on a Lucille

Serge_L

Hope you can help me.

I bought a used Gibson Lucille, sight unseen. Guitar plays like a charm, is in top shape except for a busted pickup ring. I would like to replace it and get the guitar back to original.

My question is: which type of pickup ring should I get? Flat, or curved bottom? Or did some come with flats, others with curveds? I am asking because the guitar currently has one of each type!

Thanks in advance!

I've never known of Gibson to contour the bottom of ANY pickup ring. Which is why so many of them crack and break from being bent across the curved tops.

I agree!

[confused] I heard people sanding a round contour on the bottom of the ring to fit the guitar curves.

Personally, I don't do any "voo doo" on my guitars. I just replace it with stock materials.

Jazz

After one of the original rings on My L-5 split, I replaced them both with ones I contoured the bottoms of instead of just bending then around the arched top. The bent generic rings are also the reason for the problem of pickups not sitting parallel with the strings.

I've never known of Gibson to contour the bottom of ANY pickup ring. Which is why so many of them crack and break from being bent across the curved tops.

Well, that's interesting, as ALL of my Les Paul's have a more "curved" bottom

on the pickup rings. They're all "stock" Gibson rings, too...from the 70's, 80's,

and year 2000, as well.

But, my 2002 "Lucille's" are definitely flat!! So...???

CB

Archived