Gibson Brands Forums

Serious.....

Murph

Any tips for hosting an "acoustic" OPEN MIC.......

I'm working on the details, have done a few, just curious.....

dem00n, be nice, man........, (no "F" Bomb, Greenday crap, this will be family friendly....)

[cool]

If it is an open mic night' date=' you might want to go with some more popular stuff, some classics everyone can go with[/quote']

I agree. Go with some Beatles stuff and maybe some acoustic versions of rock classics.... o and Stairway to Heaven. [lol]

Also, play some Gordon Lightfoot.... maybe "Sundown" and "Carefree Highway"?? Those are my 2 favorite songs by ol' Gordon [lol]

Murph...

I'm in a not dissimilar situation with a "60s" theme to do for a benefit deal. Problem? Yup. That's when I was playing folk, playing bluegrass, playing rock, playing blues... even getting into a bit of country already. So... I think the bottom line is I've jus' gotta figure what I feel like. Problem is, I don't know.

Sheesh.

For a solo, I think it's what you feel most comfy with. But I wanna show off a bit of fingerpickin' too. So... You don't do "Hide your love away" on the 12" fingerpicking. "Yesterday" you can. But...

ARgh!!!

BTW, I think what some younger guys think of as "rock classics" I think of as "new stuff." <chortle> "Rock classics" is the '50s, I do believe. But then, I guess I'm old.

m

Any tips for hosting an "acoustic" OPEN MIC.......

I'm working on the details' date=' have done a few, just curious.....

dem00n, be nice, man........, (no "F" Bomb, Greenday crap, this will be family friendly....)

[lol

The operative word in this thread is "HOST".

In my observation, the one what hosts it, assuming the host is responsible for the sound system... the host doesn't get much playing time. The sound board is a full time job, unless you can recruit a second to take over for part of the night.

I've stuck around at the end of the bluegrass jams I attend to help the sound guy.. THAT IS ONE BIG CHORE to set-up and tear down. I don't know how he could do it alone... probably stay 'til midnight I guess.

DO NOT ALLOW CALL IN SIGN UP. I attend one venue that does this and it creates hard feelings and just plain isn't fair. You wanna play? Get there at first call and put your John Henry down.

ALso, If you are host, make sure you have a few 'ringers' whom you KNOW will show up and work up a set...or two yourself so you have something to show if the performer turn out is light.

I used to frequent an Open Mic Night. So much so I ended up being the guitarist for the open mic night. It was hosted by a Drummer who had a Bass Player that could play guitar. After I horned in we had a pretty nice ready Rhythm Section that coulda backed up Dylan if he showed up. Some nights we'd sit at the bar and watch acoustic singers, sometime play half the night behind living room Guitar Hearos (this was way before the video game), and some nights we were the show.

It sure was better than hosting Karaoke [blink]

Do you have a place lined up?

Are you going to advertise or let it get around word of mouth?

Will it just be solo artists or will you let a whole Jazz Ensemble have a shot?

Archived