Gibson Brands Forums

Speaking of Telecasters

djroge1

There are a lot of you who have tele's and I'm about to get one in a few weeks.

I'm already thinking about how to mod it to get more sounds out? Is that crazy? I love versitility in guitars ~ I want to sqeeze as many sounds as possible out of one guitar.

Anyway, how have you modded you tele for sound?

There are a lot of you who have tele's and I'm about to get one in a few weeks.

I'm already thinking about how to mod it to get more sounds out? Is that crazy? I love versitility in guitars ~ I want to sqeeze as many sounds as possible out of one guitar.

Anyway' date=' how have you modded you tele for sound?[/quote']

I'm definitely no "wiring wizard" but you could start by putting independant "twin rail" p'ups in the neck & bridge, and adding a coil tap toggle, or push/pull coil tapping volume pots to each.

I've had several different pickups in my Tele over the last 33 years. Last month I put it back stock. About 15 years ago I rewired it so when both pickups were being used together (the middle position), the pickups were in series. Loud. Again, it's currently 100% stock and will remain that way.

I've also modded many customers' Teles with a variety of pickups, push-pull coil splitting, etc........ (yawn).

A stock Tele is much more versatile than you may think. People think it's 'Model-T' basic but once you learn the nuances of the tone and volume controls, you'll be surprised at what's in there. A tweak of a knob changes it's whole personality.

I've pondered all of the push/pull, in/out of phase, series/parallel pups.

I'd love to have a neck mini-humbucker but I'm not going to do any routing. I do like some of that Vodoo stuff.

I'm just in thinking stages at the time since I don't have the guitar yet and KS you're right in that I need to just play it for a while and learn what it has before settling on changes. So perhaps just a cap upgrade initially will be in order depending on what's inside.

It a MIM tele so does anyone know what type of caps are inside?

Archived