Gibson Brands Forums

Do you have a musical process?

Andre S

I just start playing basic riffs I use in other songs to warm up and then vary off some of that, also I kind of play a run on song of about every

thing orginal I have been getting into at the moment and arrangements are always changing........,and if I feel like it I have a line out that is always ready to record into Guitar tracks 2 program. But no I don't listen to anyone elses music before hand.

I just start playing basic riffs I use in other songs to warm up and then vary off some of that' date=' also I kind of play a run on song of about every

thing orginal I have been getting into at the moment and arrangements are always changing........,and if I feel like it I have a line out that is always ready to record into Guitar tracks 2 program. But no I don't listen to anyone elses music before hand.

[/quote']

Its just those are the people to name a few who inspired me to play guitar, so I always get the idea that listeneing to one of each will, help my creative process.

But to be honest, the best environment I find for me to write in, is in my room or by the PC when there is a heavy thunderstorm...

For the Caribbean who thunderstorms aren't too bad, so a heavy thunderstorm isn't that dangerous...come to think of it, heavy rain is always good too...nice peaceful time, cold and rainy....

When I was younger I used to have a cassette recorder on my boom box (yeah I grew up in the 80s) and I would just start playing while taping myself. I called them "Babble Tapes" because I wasn't doing anything in particular. If I found something I liked I worked with it. Nowadays, I replaced the cassette recorder with a digital recorder but the "babbling" stayed the same. My latest instrumental is taking me a very long time because I came up with a melody on the piano that I'm trying to "shred" on the guitar:

new_song_11_09-Guitar.jpg

I've been using a combination of my own fingering and a fingering provided by Matt Sear (BTW, I miss him!).

I tend to go strictly off of inspiration of some sort. Some riff I'll do while improvising will sound awesome then I'll HAVE TO go and write more. Not much of a process but it works for me.

yea, i seem to work kinda the same way.... except usually i think of a concept to write about (usually something thats going on in my life at the time or other personal experiences), write lyrics, THEN try to come up with some riffs for it....

Lyrics ? .....mmmm......not yet ............I am still learnin to ply the strings and make them speak for me...............

im more of a lyrics guy because of the fact that im not that good and its really hard for me to come up with good riffs.... i guess words just come easier to me than riffs :-

Are you singing and playing at the same time ?

well.... define what you mean by "singing" lol....

im a terrible singer. but i still love to write lyrics and sing.... does that count?? lol :-k

i dont play out' date=' i wish i did but im not good enough to be in a band yet [blush

My creative process is all over the map. However it only becomes funneled into a direction when I have a project I'm working on.

So in other words, when I'm not working on a project, all my bits and pieces of ideas stay in an a state of arrested development, until they are pulled from the well[biggrin]

Archived