Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Forums

kylehnewman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy I envied was my maternal grandfather. He was born in 1873 and had a full head of hair when he died just short of 90. Didn't play guitar, but he could tell you more about horses than you could absorb, tales of life that ain't very politically correct nowadays and of first-hand talks with 1860s U.S. "Civil War" vets of both sides from when he was in the horse buying and selling biz before roads and automobiles.

As for "Good morning little school girl..." I never had the courage to do that one even in my late teens. <grin> When I was 19 I had a girlfriend who was 17. Gee, in ways she was young given that she was in high school and I was working between colleges. She was really into blues, which was unusual at the time and place. Now? Sheesh, what's a cupla years at this age? <bigger grin> Ain't seen her or her Harmony Sovereign in roughly 45 years.

m

I saw her standin' on the corner...

A yellow ribbon in her hair....

-The Coasters, 1958

Even worse was "Robbin' the Cradle" by Tony Bellus, 1959. What a gem. One line: "Well everybody says that you've got blue eyes but your eyes are really brown like mine".

Huh? Think about that line. Confusion about eye color?

One good stalker song was "Suzy Darlin" by Robin Luke, around 1958. "I stood watching all night long...."

They're actually good songs but any male over the age of 18 dare not sing them.

I saw her standin' on the corner...

A yellow ribbon in her hair....

-The Coasters' date=' 1958

Even worse was "Robbin' the Cradle" by Tony Bellus, 1959. What a gem. One line: "Well everybody says that you've got blue eyes but your eyes are really brown like mine".

Huh? Think about that line. Confusion about eye color?

One good stalker song was "Suzy Darlin" by Robin Luke, around 1958. "I stood watching all night long...."

They're actually good songs but any male over the age of 18 dare not sing them.[/quote']

All good ones, for sure, KS, but you're right about the age-barrier. I was watching a Rockumentary on the tube last night...the seven stages of Rock, or something like that, and when they played the segment with the Police's "Every Step You Take" they commented that it was the ultimate double-entendre song; sounds like a love song but it's about stalking. I like the song, always have, but I recognized it for what it was when I first heard it back in the last century. Kinda creepy. [lol]

Sorry Dennis...

It was over the edge even back then. <grin>

"Go Away little girl" is another... I seem to recall a couple more along the same lines.

Sheesh, even playing something like that nowadays at my age, at a '60s festival would seem a bit yucky, I'd say.

OTOH, the advantage to my age is that I can flirt with "young girls" in their 40s and 50s and nobody figures it's all that untoward on account of age. <bigger grin>

m

Remember that song "Young Girl Get Out Of My Mind" by the Association (I think)? That song takes on a whole different slant now too [lol]

Just hearing that song makes me want to go wash. Like trying to wipe off a clinging booger.

The other end of the spectrum is that "Older Women" song from the early 80s. I'd pay an "older woman" good money to slap the words right out of his mouth. That song is one big condescending insult wrapped up in a thin compliment, set to music.

I've turned into a fat balding creepy looking 49 year old that salespeople eye suspiciously and make women pedestrians clutch their purses a little tighter. Good thing I'm not a hitchhiker. I haven't figured out what songs I can sing for damage control.

Sheesh' date=' even playing something like that nowadays at my age, at a '60s festival would seem a bit yucky, I'd say.

OTOH, the advantage to my age is that I can flirt with "young girls" in their 40s and 50s and nobody figures it's all that untoward on account of age. <bigger grin>

m

[/quote']

Reminds me of several years ago several of guys went to a local bar for a drink..... A young, cute female bartender.... we were the only guys in the place....(there were 4 of us). One guy, Louie, started hitting on this girl..... at the time he was probably 60....the girl was maybe 25..... The rest of us were laughing and mocking his "moves" on this young girl.... then she came over to him and said, "Aren't you Mr. Reis? Don't you recognize me? I used to come over your house to play with your daughter!

That caused the rest of us to ALL experience beer coming out our noses!

Rob...

You got it.

I don't have the kids, but...

I've had "kids" I took photos of when they were in 4-H come up to me and introduce their own grandchildren. Several of the guys have retired from "old man's breakaway roping" competition.

Sheesh.

Actually I flirt with the young waitresses, but in a small town they know it's just teasing. Of course, at my age "young" means under 60. <chortle> I also flirt with the girls my age and older.

A small Northern Plains town has the advantage of people being known as people rather than images of some sort.

BTW, here's one for you. My Mom took a bad fall Saturday while deciding against everybody's admonitions to shovel some snow. A teen driving past with his girlfriend and her mother saw the fall and stopped, got her picked up and into the house. The relevance? I knew the Mom quite well, and the daughter as well, from when they carried the local newspaper.

The daughter was a little stick 6 years ago and now she's model material at close to 6 feet even as a high school sophomore. I teased her a bit, and still do. Saturday the teasing was more serious: "You've got good taste in boyfriends."

m

BTW' date=' here's one for you. My Mom took a bad fall Saturday while deciding against everybody's admonitions to shovel some snow. A teen driving past with his girlfriend and her mother saw the fall and stopped, got her picked up and into the house. The relevance? I knew the Mom quite well, and the daughter as well, from when they carried the local newspaper.

The daughter was a little stick 6 years ago and now she's model material at close to 6 feet even as a high school sophomore. I teased her a bit, and still do. Saturday the teasing was more serious: "You've got good taste in boyfriends."

m

[/quote']

How sweet...thank God there are still nice youngin' amongst us!!

Rob...

I'm kinda prejudiced from covering the local schools as a news reporter. I think they're as good or in ways better per capita than the kids I went to high school with.

I know that statement may ruin my reputation as a grouchy old man, but...

Don't get me wrong, they'll still make the same sorts of mistakes young people have made for thousands of years. But whether they're talented or have only the ability and inclination to work hard at what they want to, they're a pretty good bunch in their heads.

Kinda reminds me of the comment a college buddy made of preachers' kids: "Some may be wilder than a pet coon, but I've never met one who was mean."

m

I personally don't think a song about a 16 year old "girl" is categorically lecherous.

On the one hand, for most of human history females were married between the ages of 14 and 18.

On the other hand, age has nothing to do with maturity: I've known 30 year old "women" (and men!) who were children intellectually speaking, and I've spoken with 16 year old "kids" who were very "adult".

I would never have anything to do with a minor, but not because of the maturity issue. It's illegal, and that's enough for me.

And she probably wouldn't be able to cook!

:-k

I personally don't think a song about a 16 year old "girl" is categorically lecherous.

On the one hand' date=' for most of human history females were married between the ages of 14 and 18.

On the other hand, age has nothing to do with maturity: I've known 30 year old "women" (and men!) who were children intellectually speaking, and I've spoken with 16 year old "kids" who were very "adult".

I would never have anything to do with a minor, but not because of the maturity issue. It's illegal, and that's enough for me.

And she probably wouldn't be able to cook!

[cool

It isn't the subject of the song that might raise some eyebrows, provided the person doing the song is, to some degree, an acceptable persona, if you will. Nobody wants to hear a 7 year old sing love songs with conviction. At least *I* would find that sort of weird and creepy. Same with a mature man of some years singing about adolescent lovers. The songs are fine...it's the delivery that's under scrutiny in this instance.

Nobody wants to hear a 7 year old sing love songs with conviction. At least *I* would find that sort of weird and creepy. Same with a mature man of some years singing about adolescent lovers. The songs are fine...it's the delivery that's under scrutiny in this instance.

You've got a point there...

Not being a stage musician' date=' I rarely consider that side of music.

The way I play, all songs sound "weird and creepy".

[cool

Yeah, in ways it's a bit odd to sing of adolescent angst when you're 50+ in age.

OTOH, I think "memory songs" work pretty well. Ruby Tuesday for example. Ian Tyson's "Someday Soon," about a younger girl pining for her "just out of the service" boyfriend who's a rodeo rider is another example. Tyson also came up with one later on about a "barrel racing angel" that reflects more modern life where it may be the girl who's focused on goals to the exclusion of much personal life.

One thing about "country music" is that at least in the past it has tended to be "adult," singing of "honky tonk angels" and such. Those of us who frequent fern bars may tend to ignore that a Chanel dress and Brooks suit doesn't change the reality, but that it's the same thing.

One thing I like about "cowboy songs" is that they tend to be great metaphors for folks who wouldn't know the difference between a saddle and bridle.

Back to the teen angst music, perhaps the apparent anger of some of today's rock adds to an inclination toward something a bit softer from the 60s and 70s in the same way that I found swing, blues and flamenco appealing when I was a teen and early 20-something.

Dennis is right, though, some of the "kid songs" of the 50s and 60s don't quite make it for a 50-something stage musician.

Another batch that likely doesn't make it well today are the "death songs" such as "Tell Laura I love her" or "Patches" that ends with suicide as I recall.

m

Archived