Gibson Brands Forums

Found an old Gibby in Florida!

drathbun

Hey folks! A big hello from the land of no snow (so far) Florida! I'm here visiting my Mom in the Ft. Myers area of Florida. Since I am gone for 10 days and can't go that long without a guitar in my hands and didn't want to chance having any of my guitars crushed, I figured I'd rent a guitar from Guitar Center here in Ft. Myers. I figured it would be about the same amount the airlines charges to store my guitar in the freezing cold hold of the aircraft here and back so what the hell.

My Mom found out I was planning to rent a guitar and knew her neighbor here plays a guitar and (boldly) asked him if I could borrow it for the 10 days. She also (very boldly) ask what kind of guitar it was. The guy said it was a Gibson and was pleased to loan it to me. I couldn't believe it and really wanted to decline the offer but they are such nice people!

Well he came over tonight with his guitar. He hands it to me and my jaw dropped. I don't know the model but I knew instantly this was a 50's Gibson. He confirmed it is a 1956 Gibson. I've taken pictures so you aficionados can tell me the model. There is no orange label and it has strip tuners. It is in amazing shape and he was told by the original owner that it was basically in a closet for 20 years. He bought it about 10 years ago for $800. It is setup perfectly and sounds astounding! He might not get it back!

Here are the photos:

100_0408.jpg

100_0409.jpg

100_0411.jpg

100_0410.jpg

LG-2? LG-3? I always get those two mixed up. I think they're both X-braced, one is nat topped and one sunburst, I just always mix them up. No surprise about the lack of label; they usually just had a rubber stamp on the back brace, where the label 'should' be. It might be faded, but take a close look.

Looks very similar.

BTW' date=' very tasty stevef. [cool

Is that yours?

Nah. (unfortunately[crying] [crying] ).. I have an old LG-12. I've been wanting an old six string and usually the prices for the b-25's are close to what I'd hope to pay!

I may have to travel to Florida for a job. I'm thinkin' of calling drathbun's Mom, see if I can get a similar guitar loaner deal!

[biggrin] [biggrin]

Archived