Gibson Brands Forums

what kind of strings would be good on hummingbird?

m1210

i don't know what type of strings are currently on my hummingbird(it was on when i bought it). they hurt my finger lot (especially the higher 2 strings...they're almost cutting my fingers...) so i'm thinking about buying new strings. what would you guys recommend? i'm looking for softer ones. thanks!!

I use D'Addario EJ16 12-53 phosphor bronze strings on my Hummingbird, which I settled on after trying pretty much everything else out there. They make the 'Bird sing, and they're light enough to be playable but heavy enough to drive the top a bit.

It sounds lime your Hummingbird would benefit from a good pro setup too-no short scale acoustic should hurt your fingers that way, even when strung up with 13s. It could be the case that if you get it set up, you can comfortably use 12s and still get the great tone that they provide.

Setup is deceptive...I have had my SJ200 for so long that I forgot how well it played when I originally bought the guitar (it had a pro setup when it came to me in '04). I recently had it refretted (it's a veteran of over 1000 gigs now and the frets were destroyed!) and set up, and I just can't believe the playability-it's silky smooth and lightning fast.

A good setup can really bring out brilliance in a guitar that you never realised was there.

I tried 'em all and swear by Gibson strings (13s) on my Hummingbird. Personal preference means a lot though. You have to go by what sounds good to you. It helps to have someone else play the guitar so you can see what it sounds like from in front.

Peolple, people ... Everyone knows that the Elixir NanoWeb "Phospher Bronze" Medium/Lights are the best overall strings to be had. :) They work great for both fingerstyle & light flatpickin'.

The three so-called "bass" strings are medium gauge & the three "trebs" are light guage. I personally put them on EVERY guitar that I own (besides the Alvarez, of course).

I've never owned a truly "aged" guitar so I wouldn't recommend these strings for an older prized heirloom. They obviously will create slightly more tension on the bridge than most Extra-Lights on the market today.

OK.. Let the pounding begin! I know most of you will strongly dis-agree with me on this one. [-(

Oh yeah, the string height at the nut (first fret) is CRITICAL!

You're going to get a different answer from everyone on this question . . . string preference is personal. I use Ernie Ball Earthwood Bronze strings (12 - 54) and I really like them. Your fingers will gradually get used to playing if you keep playing a little each day. It's more likely that the problem is that your fingers aren't used to playing than the strings. Keep practising, but stop and have a rest when your fingers get sore. They will soon get harder and you'll be able to play longer and comfortably.

The softest feeling, most comfortable strings for your Hummingbird would be Martin silk & steel acoustic guitar strings or something similar. Tuned up to concert pitch (A=440Hz), they pull on the top of your Hummingbird with a force of 122.2 pounds. (By comparison, a set of medium gauge phosphor bronze acoustic strings exerts 186.2 pounds of force.)

However, silk & steel strings normally don't have enough tension to properly drive the top of a Hummingbird, so my suggestion would be to get a set of Elixir 80/20 Bronze strings with the Polyweb (not Nanoweb) coating. The Elixir Polywebs are available in gauges ranging from medium (.13's) down to extra light (.10's) The Polyweb coating on the wound strings will hurt your fingers much less than anything else, and a set of lights (.12's) would be my best guess for you.

Two final notes: people will warn against the Polyweb Elixirs because they are too dull sounding, and I've found that they can be a little too mellow on a Hummingbird. Still, if it hurts less, you'll play more. Second, do get a qualified guitar tech to look at the nut of your Hummingbird; a lot of times the discomfort comes from nut slots that haven't been properly cut (not low enough), and even the most wimpy strings won't cure pain from a badly cut nut.

Hope this helps...

You're just gonna have to try as many as possible and come up with your own opinion. There is no right or wrong answer, and everyone has their own preference. Old strings aren't really more likely to hurt your fingers than new ones. Do what Jinder said and pay the money for a pro setup - you wont have to press as hard to fret a note cleanly and your fingers will hurt less.

Also, if you haven't changed strings since you bought the guitar, you might want to reconsider your maintenance habits. Strings are not meant to be played til they break (or hurt you). Yes, some folks like the sound of old strings in certain cases, but in most cases you should change your strings regularly. I do about once a month. Twice a month if I'm gigging a lot. That's probably more than necessary for most people, but I would look at changing them out at least every three months.

If you can commit to doing that, then go out and buy yourself 3 or 4 different brands, styles and weights and try them out. Record them and compare if possible.

What I'm saying is, try new things and form your own opinion. Only you can decide what kind of strings are "good."

I personally like and think you might like as well D'Addario EXP26 acoustic strings. These are the custom lights that have stings size: 52,42,32,22,15,11. These keep a slightly heavier gauge on the bottoms, while giving you the extra light G,B,and E strings. These strings use the same coating as the Elixer strings do, and sound just as good in my opinion for a bit less money. They last a long time too, so if you don't like changing strings, these are a good pick. The Polyweb Elixers are a great string as well if you really want to spend the extra money. The lighter 3 upper strings will help you in your bends as well. I like the heavier bottom stirngs in this Custom set because you tend to lose a lot of punch out of them when you go any lighter then these. Give 'em a try and I think you'll like them.

08 Gibson Hummingbird

08 Gibson Les Paul Standard

07 Schecter Classic C-1

96 Peavey EVH Wolfgang Deluxe

Archived