Gibson Brands Forums

Hurt Locker

Californiaman

It really sheds light on the sh!t happening there.

It takes a movie to reveal reality?

Interesting notion...

[biggrin]

I've heard good stuff about it too, but I take a pretty dim view of most movies nowadays.

I watch very few in a year.

Indeed, let us know whatcha think CM.

I may check it out.

Hoo Raa!

That was one military movie I will highly recommend.

On the edge of my seat from the very beginning. Absolutely riveting.

Jeremy Renner plays an adrenaline fueled bomb disposal tech in Iraq.

I know some Iraqi veterans and embedded journalist criticized the movie for it's lack of realism, but hey it's just a movie. A damn good one at that.

If you haven't seen it, you should.

I'm giving it five thumbs up out of five. [biggrin][thumbup][blink][thumbup][thumbup]

Does it have an "agenda" or make a "political statement" about the the war?

Is it an "action" movie with a slow-motion fake-*** explosions, or Matrix-style floating sh!t?

If it's none of the above, and isn't loaded with computer generated scenes, I'll check it out.

I rented Inglorious Bastards and Hurt Locker. Watched both on the same night a probably a mistake.

I just didn't care for the acting in Hurt Locker. I thought Inglorious Bastards was a much more entertaining film.

The thing I liked about both movies, I did't notice much computer generated effects. It all looked pretty real

I liked Inglorious Basterds so much at the theater, I told Mrs. Neo to grab it as soon as it came out on dvd.

I mean, it's bizarre as hell (Tarantino) and loaded with fantasy stuff, but there were some spots where it

showcased the clean, efficient brutality of the Nazi regime in spades. Those guys were sharp.

And to think there was a group like that (basically terrorists in today's parlance) actually scaring the bad guys...

I'll check out Hurt Locker and make my own assessment once and for all.

Thanks for the Heads Up guys.

Does it have an "agenda" or make a "political statement" about the the war?

Is it an "action" movie with a slow-motion fake-*** explosions' date=' or Matrix-style floating sh!t?

If it's none of the above, and isn't loaded with computer generated scenes, I'll check it out.

[/quote']

No agenda. Especially when you see the final five minutes of the movie.

No slow-motion fake-*** explosions, or Matrix-style floating shlitz either.

Saw this on the news;

'Hurt Locker' stirs debate among GIs

Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON - Many film critics - and awards voters - have praised "The Hurt Locker's" depiction of the U.S.

military in Iraq, often singling out the bomb-disposal drama for its authenticity. But as the film emerges as a

favorite to win the best picture Oscar, a number of active soldiers and veterans are attacking the movie for

the very things the film's supporters admire, saying "The Hurt Locker" portrays soldiers as renegades and that

it fails to represent details about combat accurately.

The criticism, coming just before Oscar ballots are due Tuesday, highlights the delicate relationship between

"The Hurt Locker" and the nation's armed forces. Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the film is "authentic"

and "very compelling" and has recommended it to his staff. But the government says it pulled its "Hurt Locker"

production assistance at the last minute in 2007, saying that the film's makers were shooting scenes that

weren't in the screenplay submitted to the Defense Department, including a sequence that the

government believed showed troops unflatteringly.

The film's producers dispute elements of the account.

While "The Hurt Locker" has numerous supporters within the military - including Purple Heart winner Drew Sloan,

who participated in a "Hurt Locker" panel discussion in Hollywood with other veterans and the film's makers

Wednesday night - the movie's detractors share a consistent complaint about its representation of the Army's

Explosive Ordnance Disposal team as they attempt to disarm improvised explosive devices.

The film, directed by Kathryn Bigelow and written by journalist Mark Boal (who embedded with a bomb-disposal

team), stars Jeremy Renner as Staff Sgt. William James. Not deterred by protocol or his own safety, James is an

adrenaline-addicted bomb defuser who occasionally puts his unit at risk and at one point takes to the streets of

Baghdad on a solo personal mission.

Members of EOD teams in southern Iraq said in interviews arranged by the Army that "The Hurt Locker" is a good

action movie if you know nothing about defusing roadside bombs or the military.

Sgt. Eric Gordon of San Pedro, Calif., an Air Force EOD technician on his second tour in Iraq, has watched the

movie a few times with his friends. "I would watch it with other EOD people, and we would laugh," Gordon said.

An EOD team leader in Maysan province, Staff Sgt. Jeremy D. Phillips, said "My interest is bringing myself and my

team members home alive, with all of our appendages in the right place."

While he was glad the film highlighted their trade, he disliked the celluloid treatment of EOD units.

"There is too much John Wayne and cowboy stuff. It is very loosely based on actual events," he said.

"I'm honestly glad they are trying to convey to the public what we've been doing, and I wish maybe they had

just done it with a little bit of a different spin on it," he said.

Some recent veterans, however, did not share the sentiment. "The depiction of our community in this film is

disrespectful," said Paul Rieckhoff, the executive director and founder of the 150,000-member Iraq and

Afghanistan Veterans of America. "We are not cowboys. We are not reckless. We are professionals.

And a lot of the film would make you think the opposite."

Boal, who also produced "The Hurt Locker," said the film was not intended to be a documentary or a training film.

"We certainly made creative choices for dramatic effect," he said. "But I hope the choices were made respectfully

and conscientiously."

Boal said that while the production initially worked with the U.S. military, it parted ways when it became

clear they would not approve script.

Interesting...

Still haven't seen it.

Okay, I'm gonna have to rent this movie when I get a chance.

Another news story to heighten the publicity buzz around it;

'Hurt Locker' producer barred from Oscars

- The Associated Press.

LOS ANGELES - A producer of the war story "The Hurt Locker" will not be allowed to attend the

Academy Awards because of e-mails he sent urging academy members to vote for his movie.

But he will receive an Oscar if his film wins best picture.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the action Tuesday against producer

Nicolas Chartier, who violated Oscar rules that prohibit mailings promoting a film by disparaging another.

Chartier sent e-mails seeking support for "The Hurt Locker," "not a "$500 million film"—an obvious

reference to best-picture contender "Avatar." Chartier apologized in a subsequent e-mail.

While Chartier cannot attend Sunday's ceremony, he would receive his Oscar later if "The Hurt Locker" wins.

Hoo Raa!

On the edge of my seat from the very beginning. Absolutely riveting.

Jeremy Renner plays an adrenaline fueled bomb disposal tech in Iraq.

I know some Iraqi veterans and embedded journalist criticized the movie for it's lack of realism' date=' but hey [b']it's just a movie. A damn good one at that.[/b]

If you haven't seen it, you should.

I'm giving it five thumbs up out of five. [biggrin][thumbup][thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

As long as people keep that in mind and realize it is Hollywood's version.

Excellant movie!

As long as people keep that in mind and realize it is Hollywood's version.

Word!

If folks are dead-set on realism they can always volunteer for the armed forces and really DO something instead of whining cuz their movie wasn't real enough. [biggrin] Just sayin'...

Yeah...

My concern is that there's now an alternate reality for more and more people.

All they know is the web and movies, and it never occurs to them that "reality" shows are anything but.

I don't like blurring the lines, and I've come to avoid most TV and almost all movies.

I'll watch something like Beavis & Butthead or The Simpsons.

When I'm done with escapism, I'll watch the news and documentaries - taking care to be alert for un-truths.

Even the news isn't really news when the agenda behind the chosen stories is examined.

There are people (my wife will tell you this) who learned everything they know about the Titanic and Pearl Harbor from the "epic blockbuster" movies of the same name.

And it's not just women...

Word!

If folks are dead-set on realism they can always volunteer for the armed forces and really DO something instead of whining cuz their movie wasn't real enough. [biggrin] Just sayin'...

I think Jack said it best "You want the truth' date=' you can't handle the truth!"

Yeah...

My concern is that there's now an alternate reality for more and more people.

All they know is the web and movies, and it never occurs to them that "reality" shows are anything but.

I don't like blurring the lines, and I've come to avoid most TV and almost all movies.

I'll watch something like Beavis & Butthead or The Simpsons.

When I'm done with escapism, I'll watch the news and documentaries - taking care to be alert for un-truths.

Even the news isn't really news when the agenda behind the chosen stories is examined.

There are people (my wife will tell you this) who learned everything they know about the Titanic and Pearl Harbor from the "epic blockbuster" movies of the same name.

And it's not just women...

I prefer King of the Hill. :(

"Why does everybody always blame it on the propane?"

#-o/

Having lived in Texas 15 years, and with most of my family there, I pity the other 40 or so states in the Union

who really don't get that "other" level of humor weaved so tightly into the show....

Sure, they might think it's funny, but do they really know where it's coming from?

Yes!

That movie deserved every accolade it earned tonight.

This is the first year in many that I've seen at least two of the movies up for best picture—Avatar being the other—and I must say, Hurt Locker was the better of the two.

Kathryn Bigelow did a great job and smashed right through a glass ceiling that has lasted since 1929. To have been in the same category with her ex-husband James Cameron and win must be extra gratifying. Good for her!

Archived