Gibson Brands Forums

Could this be a reason for fret buzz?

Andre S

When I got my LP back in 08, I changed the way the bridge was facing so that the screws faced the pickups, mainly because when intonating the screwdriver would scrape the tailpiece.

I also may have moved the height of the bridge a bit.

But could altering the way that the bridge was facing casue buzzing?

Its properly intonated again now BTW.

Messin' up the factory installation could cause your buzz problem if it brings the action down in the process. Put it back to factory orientation. Then go to a hardware store (not a big-box-we-only-carry-what-will-sell-this-week store but a bona fide hardware store). Ask for a cabinet screw driver. Most run of the mill drivers have a head that flares out width wise. A cabinet screw driver's head stays the same width all the way up through the shaft. It's used on cabinets because the wider blades scratch cabinet finishes.

The sets the big box stores sell don't generally have the narrow bladed drivers. Sears probably does too. If it's a small Sears store, you'll have to buy a 189 piece screw driver set to get one. That's why I said hardware store.

If the saddles have been already used it could have caused some buzz because the saddles used for the 4th 5th and 6th strings would have a bigger (whatever it's called) where the string rests.

right, so that would mean the 4th and 6th string, where the buzzing occurs is because of the saddle....hmm, I'll have to wait till the next string change, I changed them last week.

Archived