Gibson Brands Forums

Should I get it?!

bloom59

Okay, I have been on a search for a semi-hollow (preferably a 137) and even joined the forum to get advice since this is my first journey into buying an electric. Just got back from the 9th store I've been to in the last 3 weeks and they have a 2003 ES 137 in Tri-burst with OHSC for $1040. It has the expected fret wear and dulling of the hardware, which is not a problem. It also has a 'crack' by the pickup toggle switch about an inch long which concerned me. Asked the mgr about it and he said it was just the finish and not in the wood according to the person they bought it from; I can't tell but it is definately noticeable. Other than that, it is in great shape and plays beautifully. What do you guys think, good investment or not? Would the crack be a deal breaker? Looking for any help that can be provided, thanks.

It sounds like a good deal BUT get a dental mirror and a flashlight you may be able to see if that crack is in the wood. Of course the guy that brought it in would say it is just the finish...best be sure.

I seem to recall someone asking about an ES-137 with a crack in it a while back but I don't think it was near the 3 way switch. It could be that the crack was caused by something banging the switch. Take a magnifying glass as well.

Good Luck!

The only thing that concerns me about the 'crack' is how much leverage it will give you to negotiate a lower price. If you are serious about keeping this guitar forever (i.e. not concerned with resale value) then just know that a crack in that spot will never 'ruin' the guitar.

Now if a cosmetic flaw is going to psychologically disturb you, that's another story & maybe you should pass on this one. However, in my mind, it seems like you have a chance to get a mean machine for a killer price because of a cosmetic issue.

I am not bothered by cosmetic flaws, particularly given this is a 7 year old guitar and can be gotten for a good price. When I buy my first 'new' axe that will be a different story. I don't intend on selling it so resale isn't something I am considering now. Going back to play it more today and see if I can talk them down on the price. Also may see if they have any return policy so if I buy it I can get someone to check it out. I've been in enough shops to have a decent sense of who is trying to take advantage and who isn't, and it seems like the guys at this place are above the board, but you never know. It did sound lovely...

Offer him 700.00 cash or walk away, this will offset any cost you may have to incur later if you decide to have the crack repaired. Don't take his word for it, the store probably got the guitar dirt cheap to begin with. Cash will speak, if they're serious about selling it. If the salesman says no ask to speak to the Mgr. or owner.

Offer him 700.00 cash or walk away' date=' this will offset any cost you may have to incur later if you decide to have the crack repaired. Don't take his word for it, the store probably got the guitar dirt cheap to begin with. Cash will speak, if they're serious about selling it. If the salesman says no ask to speak to the Mgr. or owner.[/quote']

Great point - they got it for cheap to begin with, because of the crack. I also agree, if the salesman doesn't bite, go to the big boss man. They LOVE cash.

bloom 59,

Sounds like a fair price. I agree with suggestions to check the crack out very closely. I paid $950 for my 2002 ES135 about 1 1/2 years ago. There were no finish issues with the guitar. I also agree with bringing cash to the table. I was able to purchase mine for several hundred less than the asking price with cash in hand.

Kenny V

I have a 335, and I have friends with various other, similar models (340, 137, whatnot) and, you know what? Everyone loves what they have, and envies what the others have!

A moral lesson.

FenderDRRIandBand-Master.jpg?t=1267500819

Lordy, all my pics have Fender amp in 'em. How'd that happen?

Thanks for all the help folks, but unfortunately no sale. The guitar was on consignment and even after pulling out $850 cash the mgr. said he couldn't come down on the price. Told me the owner had already reduced the price by $300 and was not willing to come down any further. $1300 for that guitar is not reasonable, and given that he also said they have had it since before Christmas and it still hadn't sold makes me think that crack likely goes deeper than the finish cause I am sure people who know exactly what they are looking at have passed on it. So maybe it all worked out anyway. The hunt begins again...

I have a 335' date=' and I have friends with various other, similar models (340, 137, whatnot) and, you know what? Everyone loves what they have, and envies what the others have!

A moral lesson.

Lordy, all my pics have Fender amp in 'em. How'd that happen?[/quote']

I think that's just a fantastic pic. [cool]

lpdeulxe,

Nice amps. Which one do you like better, and which one do you think has a better sound? I have been looking at adding the Deluxe Reverb to my small amp collection. I have not had a an opportunity to hear the Fender Band Master in person. None of the guitar stores near me currently have one in stock. Thanks.

Kenny V

Archived