Gibson Brands Forums

Fancy WOOD bindings?

RASHARU

I'm not sure. But now that you've got me thinking, I don't remember ever seeing any Gibbys with wood binding.

I have a Taylor that has wood binding throughout and a wood rosette inlay. It is really nice looking, but it's not something I would specifically want/request.

Here's a close up of my Taylor -

The binding, from the inside to the outside edge alternates rosewood and maple - R M R M R - to mimic b/w/b/w/b.

Also there's a band of maple under the outside rosewood binding strip.

NS74-CE edge-sm.jpg

My guess as to why Gibson don't use wood more often for binding is that plastic is harder. Binding is suppossed to prevent the guitar's edges from denting and dinging due to everyday use, so a harder material may provide more protection.

That Taylor and Scott are both lovely looking.

Red 333

Yes. There's no doubt that the plastic is more durable & much less susceptible to daily wear & tear. Good point there, Red 333.

HD000CLOSEFRONT.jpg

This is my latest "custom" build from my luthier friend. An HD Scott 000-slothead, cedar/rosewood with a 1-7/8" nut & oversized soundhole.

Does your friend have a website? I'd love to see more of his work.

No. Not yet. He mainly builds for his family only at this time. He claims to be in that illustrious "experimental stage" in his career right now. I've actually gotten two from him.. a 00 spruce/hog & this 000. Numbers (7) & (9) of (14) built so far. He gets a kick out of me because I'm always wanting something odd-ball that stretches his ability.

Now that I think about it, I may be the ONLY person outside his family that's ever gotten one! He should be going public in a couple more years.

Does your friend have a website? I'd love to see more of his work.

Thought I'd show you the 00-spruce/hog too. It was a totally experimental build (no blueprint whatsoever) and it turned out with incredible "punchy" tone.

JBOY00-2.jpg

RASHARU -

Nice. A bit larger than I expected. Interesting color on the top. [cool]

pohatu771 -

That would be your Rodriquez I see. How about a pic showing off the binding?

That's my 7 year old playing G&R on it. It is indeed a smaller sized guitar.

My guess as to why Gibson don't use wood more often for binding is that plastic is harder. Binding is suppossed to prevent the guitar's edges from denting and dinging due to everyday use' date=' so a harder material may provide more protection.

[/quote']

Sounds plausible. Another factor could be the prevalence of sunbursts. On a sunburst, the finish has to be scraped off the binding. (The standard tool is a glass microscope slide, but scrapers can use whatever works for them. It's a very tough job that requires extremely steady hands. Done almost exclusively by women, BTW.) I can imaging that scraping down to bare wood could easily raise the fibers if done "against the grain", and the geometry of the guitar makes scraping in the same direction along the entire length of the binding rather difficult..

-- Bob R

Uhh... Juxtapo..what?!? You got me there. Please explain.

You know, I had to look it up afterwards myself, to make sure I used it right.

It's nothing bad. It means when two (sometimes opposite) things are side by side by side. The effect is often comical or thought provoking. Some would think the classical guitar and KISS were polar opposites, yet your son makes them make sense together.

Red 333

I had heard that binding was to make joining the back/top and sides together by giving it more surface area. It doesn't make sense to me' date=' but I assumed there was something I was missing.[/quote']

You're thinking of the kerfing (the slotted strips of wood) inside the guitar. The binding is the thin strips along the outline of the body, and sometimes neck and headstock.

Then there's purfing, which is kind of decorative binding. If binding is the protective outside layer of plastic or wood around the body's edge, then the purfing is the decorative layer or layers next to that (like Gibson's rope design, or Martin's herringbone), or around a soundhole.

Kerfing, purfing, and binding. Sounds like a lawfirm.

Red 333

Archived