Gibson Brands Forums

where to find original jumbo reissue or similar

markwillplay

Still love my OJ reissue and I want another or maybe the fullers J35. Just looking for another short scale givvy with that chuncky soft V neck and sound. I know I have one but I have been looking for another and can't even find them used anywhere. Anyone know where one might be located?

Mark, there is an OJ on E-Bay right now. I think the seller is a little optimistic on his asking price though. There also is a J35 reissue as well. The J35 has an end piece inlay, at the end pin area which just isn't right on one of these.

I recently got a Fullers J35 that is great. Mine does not have a V neck but more of a full C. Actually I think it's about as perfect as a neck can be.

With Gibson's naming of reissues, we have no way to talk about vintage guitars.

Anyway, we got an original Jumbo a couple of weeks ago - 1935. Here is some video on vimeo (best) and on

(not quite as good). You need a good audio system or good headphones.

Best,

-Tom

With Gibson's naming of reissues' date=' we have no way to talk about vintage guitars.

Anyway, we got an original Jumbo a couple of weeks ago - 1935. Here is some video on vimeo (best) and on

Best,

-Tom

Great video and excellent playing, as usual. Thank you so much for posting, so we can all experience some of the great vintage guitars we've only read about.

One question for you: do you favor any specific brand of string for your various Gibson jumbos?

Red 333

Anyway' date=' we got an original Jumbo a couple of weeks ago - 1935. Here is some video on vimeo (best) and on

Best,

-Tom

Tom-- A vintage OJ is my ultimate Guitar-- and yours sounds great! I don't expect to ever see or play one, so thanks for sharing!

what exactly is a Fullers j35? what are the specs. I was hunting one of those possibly but I wasn't really sure. I have an OJ reissue and I absolutely love it. But to be honest, many of these guitars are hit and miss. Does the Fullers J35 have a full 1 3/4 neck? What are the tone woods? Most of all, how does it sound?

Great video and excellent playing, as usual. Thank you so much for posting, so we can all experience some of the great vintage guitars we've only read about.

One question for you: do you favor any specific brand of string for your various Gibson jumbos?

Hi Red,

I'm afraid the answer is not too exciting. I have tried lots of different strings over the years, and maybe a decade or so ago I settled on an approach.

At this point, I don't really use coated strings of any kind. I like the way they last, but I have never found any that don't lose a bit of sound -- I guess because of the coating. I am now trying out Cleartone Strings, and I am initially more impressed than with any other coated strings I have tried -- but the jury is still out.

For mahogany guitars, including the old Jumbo, I just use Martin 80/20 bronze Mediums. I buy these in bulk for a bit over $2.00 a set. They seem to work spectacularly for about three outings (whole days of playing), and since they are cheap, I just change them often.

On the Wartime J-45s, I use the same except I sometimes use light strings. This is because I mostly finger pick them, and with all the bending etc., these don't "bite" by left hand quite so badly.

On the RW guitars -- an AJ and a RG are the only Gibsons we have that are RW -- I use bulk PB.

I know different people prefer different stuff, so I am not recommending anything. This is just what we do.

Tom-- A vintage OJ is my ultimate Guitar-- and yours sounds great! I don't expect to ever see or play one, so thanks for sharing!

Hoss: I have always admired your insights and experiences from this and other forums. I know you are out there, and if I ever come that way, I plan to see if we can meet -- hopefully over some old Gibson guitars.

All the best,

-Tom

Hi Red' date='

I'm afraid the answer is not too exciting. I have tried lots of different strings over the years, and maybe a decade or so ago I settled on an approach. [/quote']

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate the response, and the benefit of your experience!

Red 333

Archived