Gibson Brands Forums

Jose Feliciano...the guitar player.

rocketman

Thanks for the clips and the memories, RM. Funny thing, when we were in high school, Mrs. Cruzn's Mom disallowed her to watch/listen to Jose. She can't recall the exact reason but he was definitely off limits in the house. We thought he was fantastic from the get go.

Latent/repressed sexuality?

Cool stuff.

Whatever happened to him anyway?

Could be' date=' Neo, her Mom's people were real old-timey hill folk who held onto a lot old notions about "outsiders". God forbid one of those outsiders should be a blind Mexican guitar-picker singing love songs. [-(

According to his website, he's still working. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks for bringing him up. I was thinking about him just last week.

I really enjoyed listening to him when he was making the circuit of variety shows, Smothers Brothers, Sonny and Cher, Hee Haw.

That has to be one of the biggest bodied 'Classical' guitars I've ever seen.

Could be' date=' Neo, her Mom's people were real old-timey hill folk who held onto a lot old notions about "outsiders". God forbid one of those outsiders should be a blind [b']Mexican[/b] guitar-picker singing love songs. [-(

According to his website, he's still working. [cool] [cool]

@#)(&$ Mexicans! [blink][crying] wooops... he's Puerto Rican. [wink] But to old timey hill folk, PR is Mexico. #-o I know, I'm related to them.

Here is what Wikipedia had to say about his controversiality:

In October 1968' date=' at the height of protests against the Vietnam War, Feliciano was given the opportunity by Tigers broadcaster Ernie Harwell to perform "The Star-Spangled Banner" at Tiger Stadium in Detroit during Game 5 pregame ceremonies of the World Series. His highly personalized, slow, latin jazz performance proved highly controversial. As result of his unusual delivery, many radio stations refused to play his songs, and his career was stalled about three years. Even so, in an October, 2006 NPR broadcast, he expressed pride for opening the door for later reinterpretations of the national anthem. His World Series rendition, which features him accompanying himself on an acoustic guitar, was released as a single which charted for 5 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #50. Feliciano's "Star-Spangled Banner" took place 10 months before the more famous Jimi Hendrix rendition at Woodstock.[/quote']

I checked his calendar too. What a life! That is the way to 'retire', 1, maybe 2 gigs a month... in warm places. [blush]

@#)(&$ Mexicans! [angry][bored] wooops... he's Puerto Rican. :) But to old timey hill folk' date=' PR is Mexico. #-o I know, I'm related to them.

Here is what Wikipedia had to say about his controversiality:

I checked his calendar too. What a life! That is the way to 'retire', 1, maybe 2 gigs a month... in warm places. [cool

LOL! My fox paws. If that's the only thing I forget, I'm good. My sincere apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my oversight.

As for his "controversy" and how it relates to Mrs. Cruzn, she graduated in 1967, a year after I did. So apparently he'd already made an impression prior to his National Anthem rendition, which I really don't remember...either. :)

Archived