Gibson Brands Forums

Condenser microphones

Riffster

Ok, I think I get it, now that I have a Shure SM57 which is great for almost everything I think I realize why Condenser mics are preferred for recording acoustic guitar.

Even though I have a Jumbo acoustic which has big sound projection I have to turn up the gain for the SM57 to the max, which brings in noise and even then I have to strum hard to get the mic to pick up more sounds since the coil in it has to move, easy with a speaker cab not so easy with an acoustic guitar.

So are Condenser mics much more sensitive and pickup the high end better in acoustic situations?

Any tricks to make an acoustic guitar sound good and clear through a Dynamic mic?

Ok' date=' I think I get it, now that I have a Shure SM57 which is great for almost everything I think I realize why Condenser mics are preferred for recording acoustic guitar.

Even though I have a Jumbo acoustic which has big sound projection I have to turn up the gain for the SM57 to the max, which brings in noise and even then I have to strum hard to get the mic to pick up more sounds since the coil in it has to move, easy with a speaker cab not so easy with an acoustic guitar.

So are Condenser mics much more sensitive and pickup the high end better in acoustic situations?

Any tricks to make an acoustic guitar sound good and clear through a Dynamic mic?[/quote']

Yeah... if I can find it. There was a series of articles in Guitar World on just this. If I can locate which copy had the info, I'll pass it along. I recall reading it and finding some interesting information about mic placement with respect to sound output.

I had a subscription to GW up until a couple of months ago. I am sure I have the issue that covers home recording and acoustic recording. If you do find what month it came in do let me know.

An ART Tube MP should help the gain with noise reduction and at $30 it is not a bad deal, I am just trying to avoid another unit to plug in.

My tricks to make an acoustic guitar sound great.... Record it in stereo... There are two ways to do this, if your acoustic has a pickup run that into your soundcard or mixer. Now mic the guitar with a condenser mic and run that into another channel in your mixer or soundcard. When you play them back pan the two channels you recorded hard left and hard right... Add a little chorus to the channel that was recorded using the guitars pick up. This will give you a beautiful rich stereo recording of your acoustic. If your acoustic doesn't have a pickup use two condenser mics... Point one of them directly at the sound hole twards the bottom of the guitar. Position the other mic more towards the bass of the neck. Again record using two channels and on playback pan hard left and right using the chorus on which ever channel it sounds best on in the mix of the two. If you don't want such an open mix don't cut hard left and right but as required for your liking...

I like recording acoustic with both a large diaphragm and a small diaphragm condenser. I point the small diaphragm at the 12th fret and I'll sit the large diaphragm in front of the bridge but point it at the sound hole. Thats my preferred method.

I tried recording acoustic with my SM57, and it just didn't work. I had used my older, lower-quality mics for it before, and it worked well. It may simply be the SM57. In the past, though, I had used three different mics at once, in various positions.

I always use two condenser mics now, though, or combine one condenser with the pickup. Acoustic guitars just don't sound good with only one mic - the sound comes from too many places and sounds different depending on where you're listening. Electric guitars are all coming out of the amp.

Yea, you are right.

The SM57 is a Dynamic mic, for what I understand the element has a bobin and magnet (just like a speaker), they are heavy to move so they need air moving and an acoustic guitar does not provide that.

Since the USB interface I bought does not have phantom power I will probably buy a battery powered condenser mic. Or simply buy a pickup for my acoustic guitars as neither has one.

Yea' date=' you are right.

The SM57 is a Dynamic mic, for what I understand the element has a bobin and magnet (just like a speaker), they are heavy to move so they need air moving and an acoustic guitar does not provide that.

Since the USB interface I bought does not have phantom power I will probably buy a battery powered condenser mic. Or simply buy a pickup for my acoustic guitars as neither has one.

[/quote']

Ahhhh... I'll take advantage of your research :) . Let me know which acoustic pup you pick up, please sir. I want one for my Ibanez (and 12 string).

I know what I want but not willing to spend so much cash given I suck and everything.

Those Germans make good stuff. Check the sound clip, great melody.

http://www.shadow-electronics.com/viewpro.html?lang_id=&id=186

I will probably end up going with something around the $100 mark or less but definitely will research it.

Is a dynamic or condenser better for miking and amp for recording?

Dynamic mics actually do a very good job on loud sources like a guitar amp, you get all the stuff you want nothing you don't.

Condensers seem to have more of a frequency range but electric guitars "live" in the midrange so a Dynamic is great.

Archived