Gibson Brands Forums

Finding a replacement neck for J40 = mission imposible ?

triskelworkshop

Hi dear Gibson addicts,

I recently got my hands on a 1974 Gibson J40 with a badly broken headstock , a loose bridge and a cracked top, side and back.

Yes, i know, ...but I payed only 170 $ for it , so as a second year lutherie student I thought it might be a good investment to try and fixed it .

The crackes in the side and back where an easy repair, but the top was something else. Uge cracks under the bridge proofed to be beyond repair, so I will have to make a new soundboard, using the origninal measurements from the old one. I will also be using the bracings from the original soundboard if I can get them off without any dammage.

The headstock can only be repaired with a new joining piece, set in between the head and the neck. unless I replace the complete neck with a new one.

So here's my question: Where do I find a replacement neck for a J 40. I looked everywhere on the internet, but all I could find where Les Pauls licensed replacments models.....nothing acoustic.

It seems to be a Gibson policy, not to provide spare parts, or am I wrong ?

If anyone could help, I would safe a lot of work and value to this old guitar. If I have to deside to make a neck myself, it will be a high-end replacement, but no longer a Gibson Original

Thanks

Stephan

triskel workshop Belgium

Welcome.

It's going to be difficult to find a neck. Gibson, as well as some of the other manufacturers, usually will only supply official factory parts for authorized warranty repairs.

You'll have to find a junk J40 with a usable neck, or find a licensed aftermarket parts manufacturer that makes a suitable neck, or find someone that can make a new neck for you using the old neck as a template.

Good luck.

hi,

thanks already for the early replies.

I wonder if this ebay item has the same specs as a J40 or 45 neck, it is a lot cheaper and the rest of the finishing I could do myself.

Raw NOS replacement neck

Altough I'm not sure about the shape of its' neck joint, it looks a lot different then the one here

1976 J45 neck on ebay.

I'm a bit clueless.....I haven't removed the old neck on mine yet, so I can't compare with the original.

Stephan

Well....

I think it is not that easy,........I got a reply here that says the ebay neck would be a good grab for the price.....does that mean I should go for the original J45 neck, priced 125 $ with a serial nr that leads to a J45 in st of J40, or should I just buy the raw NOS one wich is only .....don't remenber but sheap. ?

did not answer the question if the Raw NOS one fits a 1974 J40 body or not . ....then again, maybe I should ask the seller about it .... he has got 6 in stock so he'll probably know what he sells

Stephan

With the way Gibson was cutting costs at that time, especially with the acoustics, I'm guessing J-40s and J-45s had the same neck.

A quick search leads me to believe the J-40 was just a plainer version of the J-45 - like the WM-45 was more recently. Of course, they were square-shouldered at the time.

Archived