Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard pickguard bridge post holes -- they're growing!

GrantFM

Hey errybody -

I just got a new classic white SG standard last week. One of the first things I did (besides chip the paint job...) was order a new pickguard from WD Music Products. I really dig how these look on my SGs. The heritage cherry is a '96 and the classic white is an '09. There's a problem I noticed though: the holes for the bridge posts have increased in size from '96 to '09. The pickguard I ordered fit perfectly on the '96, but the holes for the bridge on the '09 are larger than the holes necessary for the '96. The holes for the bridge on the new Standard starts in the same exact spot on the tailpiece side as the '96, but then go further towards the bridge pickup and have a greater diameter. Even though WD's pearloid pickguards have the old-style smaller holes, they still works ok with the 2009, but they cut it close. The actual hole the screw goes into for the bridge is butting up right on the side closest to the bridge pickup. Another few millimeters and it wouldn't have worked. I wrote WD an email about this yesterday to let them know they might want to check with Gibson to see what year they changed over to the new, larger bridge post holes and that they might consider offering a "pre-whatever year" style and a "post-whatever year" style of SG Standard pickguard.

Does anyone know what year Gibson changed to the larger bridge post hole style? Is this a modification for '09 or has it been like this for a few years already?

Original '96 pickguard on left, new '09 pickguard with larger bridge post holes on right:

09gibsonrigh.jpg

'09 pickguard aligned directly on top of '96 pickguard:

09gibson.jpg

The beautiful end result:

sgibbys.jpg

In the early 2000's they changed the Standards over to the Nashville. I got a couple guards from allparts and they are off to where I

had to drill out the holes a little just to get the ABR-1 to work. So WD sounds like they are closer to spec. also more expensive.

Thanks guys, I'm really digging the new white one a lot right now. Man, 15 years playing guitar and I had no idea about there being different bridge types. I thought "tune-o-matic" one and done! Guess not. Now I'm reading up on these and guys seem to be really opinionated (of course, right?) about which is better. ABR-1's seem to be favored. Crazy, learn something new every day.

Archived