Gibson Brands Forums

Nut problem

outforblood

There are ways to build up a nut slot, but it takes quite a bit of skill to do it properly and re-cut the slot. Have you checked the string height on the D at the first fret ? Is the height lower than the other strings ?

You have to be careful with these things - here's an example. A bass player told me his 1st string was buzzing because the nut slot was too low compared to the others. I checked it and found the slot was at the right height - it was the other slots that were too high ! The buzzing was caused by uneven frets. I leveled them, and lowered the other nut slots. The bass was now buzz free and played much better.

Like I say, check carefully to find out exactly what's happening. Of course, a string can develop a buzz through fault / corrosion / age.

If there is a fret issue, raising the slot (by whatever means) will cure the open string buzz. The thing is it doesn't address the problem. It's the same as raising the bridge to prevent buzzing when the frets are not level. Playability and intonation suffer.

Of course you know to put a piece of tape along each side of the d string slot-to prevent glue and b.p. from oozing out-right. Then it is just a matter of dropping some into the slot and then a drop of super glue on the powder. I know that super glue drys quick, but you don't want to risk any kind of mess now do you? Besides that is how I have always done it and have never had a problem in the 15 years or so I have been repairing, rebuilding and fixing instruments.

I'm not sure of this but the hassle of all that wouldn't be much less than having a new nut put in. Then you could have a bone nut made for your guitar. My luthier only charges $20 plus the cost of the nut. Just wondering, been wrong before.

I'm not sure of this but the hassle of all that wouldn't be much less than having a new nut put in. Then you could have a bone nut made for your guitar. My luthier only charges $20 plus the cost of the nut. Just wondering' date=' been wrong before.

[/quote']

That's a good price! I think most charge around 80.00

That's a good price! I think most charge around 80.00

Well I just had it done to a Strat I had about 4 mos. ago and it cost me around $28 for a graphite nut. Now bone might require a little more work than graphite but it wouldn't cost me no $60 more. Where do you live? I have a favorite mom & pop shop where I purchase all my guitars and do any work on them for me. They treat me good and I keep buying stuff from them.

Archived