Gibson Brands Forums

Compressor pedals

Flight959

Compressors do what the sound like .....compress your audio wave ......thus giving more sustain and volume in the output wave form.

In a sock a basic compressor pedal is also quite heavy and can be used as a deadly weapon

what it does is that it acts more or less like an automatic volume control. Often they'll be set so that if the signal level goes past a set point, it will reduce it by a set amount. The end result would be a more even sound, so that your picking would sound more even or the difference in volume between a single string line and a full open chord would be less dramatic.

The same basic method of operation allows you to use compression to shape the sound rather than just making the levels even. For example, you can set it so that when your long note starts trailing off, the compressor raises the volume so it will sound like it is ringing for a longer time. Or you can set it to let the initial attack of you hitting the string go straight through, then reduce the level of the signal drastically. Your over all sound will be lower as result, so boost it back up with the compressors level control and voila, you'll have a guitar sound with a really fast and defined attack.

The thing with compressors, in guitar rigs as well as in recording situation is that they are totally awesome but you need to know what you are doing. If you don't, it is going to end up sounding worse. A lot worse. And with stompbox compressors for guitar, I find they often lack the controls to be of any real use (meaning they end up being one trick ponies) and/or are just of too poor quality.

The thing with compressors' date=' in guitar rigs as well as in recording situation is that they are totally awesome but you need to know what you are doing. If you don't, it is going to end up sounding worse. A lot worse.[/quote']

Words of wisdom - the whole post actually but especially this part.

Sho mentioned in recording situations - Every recording you've heard for at least the past 20 years has had some sort of compressor used and often multiple times - vocals, guitars, drums etc. and then a final compression before mastering.

I'm curious about the fairly new Joe Meek compressor stomp box - the Joe Meek studio compressors are fairly renouned in the studio as well as Manley and a few others.

I use a compressor/sustainer, all the time, with my Rickenbacker 12-string. Both, to even out tones, which

adds fullness, and to add sustain, as well. I often adjust just how much, depending on the song. Been using

it, lately, with my 6 strings, as well...but, unlike the Ric, not in every situation. I've found the setting for the 12-

string, and 6 string to be quite different...again, depending on how it's used, and why. Roger McGuinn, of "The

Byrds," often used 2 compressors, in the studio. And, of course, had one "built in" his 370-12, and later Ric

put one in, his signature version, as well. He seems to endorse "Jangle Box," compressors, these days. So...???

Anyway...they can be really great, IF you take the time to really discover their proper use(s).

CB

Picture water falling from a garden hose....Now' date=' put a cork in the end of the hose with a small nail hole

through it....look at what that does to the flow.

[/quote']

That about says it. I use the effect most definitly ....but not but a pinch or two.....and a dual rectifier emulation and a little reverb. And I might throw in some sea salt and a little cajun seasoning ..........uh oh.....gotta check me gumbo !

Archived