Gibson Brands Forums

Serial number mystery???

sgman

This is odd! Just nosing around my new case that came with my new SG '61 RI, I was looking at the Pre-Pack checklist card that was inside the case with the guitar and noticed that down the bottom where it's got Model no............ and underneath Serial no.........

Well, the serial number on the card and the serial number on my guitar DON'T match. I started to get worried and then looked at the serial number on the receipt and the serial number on the guitar and phewww (wipes sweat from brow)..they DO match.

So, either I've been given the wrong case, OR the wrong serial number was put down on the card, OR the wrong card was put inside the case.

I wouldn't normally make a fuss, but I believe that Pre-Pack Checklist is necessary for any potential warranty issues, so I really need the correct card, don't I?

Has anyone else had this happen?

You were given the wrong case, probably the first SG case the idiot at the retail store found. There was a long thread recently on "case candy" you might want to do a search for.

As for warranty, the are many laws in the United States governing warranties AND "implied warranties". You need nothing more than a sales receipt to prove ownership for warranty purposes. You do not need and pre-pack list, case candy, or do you even have to register with Gibson. By law they must honor the written and implied warranty to the original owner.

This goes for any product sold in the US.

neogeoriffic....I bought the guitar at my local guitar shop here in Oz.

L5Larry.....So as long as I have the serial number on the receipt match up with the serial number on the guitar, all is good? I think I should still let them know about the mess up though.

I was wondering why it was taking the guy so long to bring my guitar out after I'd paid for it. I remember thinking at the time, how long does it take to find my guitar since it they'd put it away for me when I put it on layby and mine was the only '61 RI they had in stock. I reckon he MAY have been trying to find the case to go with the guitar, and must have grabbed the wrong one by mistake.

Where'd you buy it' date=' Guitar Center?[/quote']

You beat me to it...

:-

I doubt there was any real mistake made.

A mistake implies there was an effort to do it right and get the proper case for you.

I doubt that happened.

Usually the attitude is that it doesn't matter, so why should they give a sh!t?

The owner will never look at that stuff anyway, right?

I would take the guitar and case down there next chance you get.

Politely mention that there must have been some mistake.

Allow them a chance to save face and make it right.

Give them some time to make sure all your paperwork matches what you paid for.

If they give you the runaround, then you know my hunch was correct - again.

Okay, just got back. Upon hearing what's wrong they were pi$$ed off that it had happened and reasoned that someone else who'd bought an SG must have got the case I was supposed to have gotten and I'd gotten their case. They said that as long as I keep the receipt of payment for the guitar and that the serial numbers match on the receipt and the guitar, that's all I need to worry about. They reckon that Gibson wouldn't really be concerned about the Pre-Pack checklist card anyway since it becomes the responsibility of the dealer after it leaves the factory.

The guy at the guitar shop also highlighted to me what it said in bold lettering on the card: "Any warranty either stated or implied is provided only by the distributor in the country in which the instrument was purchased, and not by Gibson Guitar Corp., USA."

So basically he said that although the card is issued along with the guitar and case, it's virtually useless since the distributor is solely responsible for warranty issues.

I then asked him that since I didn't get the correct case, did I get the right case for a '61 reissue SG. After looking at the case, he assured me that it appeared to be the case that would go with an SG '61 reissue 09 model. I told him I wasn't happy that this had happened but apart from throwing a tantrum, there's probably not a damn thing more I could do about it.

I have learned a valuable lesson and that is to THOROUGHLY check everything before leaving the shop with a new purchase. I should have been smart enough to have done that anyway, but I was carried away with the moment and excited about finally getting this guitar etc.

So just to be sure, is there anywhere I can check on the internet where I can verify that I did in fact get the right case for a SG '61 RI?

Archived