Gibson Brands Forums

maybe a stupid question?

GibsonTruthSeeker

Wathever you say the "Doves in flight" is e beautiful guitar and I love, love, love it!!!!!

The SJ 200 is a powerful guitar. I love my M-R GIBS.

But the kid here is reading what we are talking about so let's remind him of the other bird:

Hey - here is a guitar called Gibson acoustic "Hummingbird"

Check it out carefully!!!! For this is a great one!!!!!!

[lol] :) Hah! You guys are TOTALLY cracking me up!

I didn't realize there were so many musical comedians on this forum!

And this really is getting down to all the things I'm trying to figure out here.

As for the link to the Super Dove on the Gibson site, I can say that it's not an SJ-200, much thinner in the depth. I know, it looks like a SJ-200 cutaway, but it's not. After I played it I went to guitar center and played a 200, a 185, a couple of songwriters, and I can't remember what else. Of course, I left thoroughly confused. They all sounded good, and one of the songwriters really hit me that time.

Apparently Gibson has (centers? showrooms? i don't know what to call them) in certain cities, and if you need a Gibson for a photoshoot, or you're a visiting musician (of a certain stature) you can go and borrow a guitar. The guy I work with knows the guy that runs the one here, and he occasionally will borrow one for a show.

What he told me is that the Super Dove was originally a custom, then Gibson decided to put them into limited production. To me it sounded a little sweeter than a 200, and not as big. Didn't sound thin, but it might when played against the 200. Just waiting for my co-worker to borrow it again sometime!

Something's not right. The pictured guitar has a pickguard design reserved for the 200 series, not the Dove series (which usually has a dove on it). The bridge is a mustache bridge, not a Dove bridge. Very strange.

( http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/Super-Dove/Features.aspx )

BTW, good luck picking out your new Gibson. [smile]

BTW this is M-R GIBS:

M-rGibsfinalyathome.jpg

SJ 200 Custom Elite

MAN! That's pretty!! I told you when I started looking for a guitar I could leave my grandkids' date=' I started with a SJ-200. I would have bought one had my DIF not shown up, (at the San Francisco Guitar Center, GTS!).

So now, Krasi, show show the back!!

Here's the back of the DIF:

[img']http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/Doves%20In%20Flight/DSC01311.jpg?t=1269454037[/img]

Here's another thing to think about...

If you're approaching a true buying mode, given the price tag on these things, ask the store to install a set of strings you like to use on the guitar. And _then_ try it.

You pay for the strings, they put 'em on for you and keep 'em. but heck you're talking a max of around $20 US compared to how much if the guitar doesn't fit what and how you play?

The major guitar purchase or swap errors I've made have tended to have something to do with strings and setup in ways as anything else.

m

Here's another thing to think about...

If you're approaching a true buying mode' date=' given the price tag on these things, ask the store to install a set of strings you like to use on the guitar. And _then_ try it.

You pay for the strings, they put 'em on for you and keep 'em. but heck you're talking a max of around $20 US compared to how much if the guitar doesn't fit what and how you play?

The major guitar purchase or swap errors I've made have tended to have something to do with strings and setup in ways as anything else.

m

[/quote']

Ya know, Milo... I told my luthier to put on the proper strings (Brand and gauge), and it made a HUGE difference! I asked him to do the same for my Jubilee, and even though he put on heavier strings on it than he did the DIF, it too is better..... when I change the strings on my Dove, they'll be the same as the DIF...I'll bet it'll make a good change....we'll see.

Good advice!

Archived