Gibson Brands Forums

At Last!

bloom59

So I finally found the guitar I was looking for; a gently used (showroom model) ES-137 in Blue Burst. It is my first electric and first Gibson, and it is gorgeous. It amazes me how you can actually feel quality and craftsmanship just holding it. Alright, I'm starting to gush like a 12-year old girl at a Jonas brothers concert so I better stop. I do not have a digital camera so I can't post a pic, but the blue is much more subtle than others I've seen. Still playing around with the pickups, not 100% crazy about the tone yet. But I bought a dinky little amp (25 watt Fender Frontman) since my funds were low, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. And I am messing around with the different tone combinations using the controls on the guitar, so I am sure it will just take some time to find a good sweet spot. Two early questions, which I imagine have been asked and answered a thousand times here, so please bear with me. First, is it normal for the neck to become incredibly tacky after playing for a few minutes, and if so, is there anything to counteract that? Second, is there a cetain type(not brand) of strings that work particularly well with a semi-hollow? It came with Brite Wires which I like so far, but I understand that certain materials can make a string give a "brighter" or "mellower" tone than others. Any thoughts. I am glad there are still some things in life that live up to expectations.

There have been several threads lately on tacky necks, search em out. (here's one: http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=30493 ) It's not unusual with nitrocellulose lacquer.

Everybody likes what they like, string-wise, so have fun and experiment. I'm a Slinky guy, but I also liked the Gibson strings that came on my 137 Custom. Some people like flatwounds, etc. Have fun and experiment. Congrats on finding such a sweet guitar!!

So I finally found the guitar I was looking for; a gently used (showroom model) ES-137 in Blue Burst. It is my first electric and first Gibson' date=' and it is gorgeous. It amazes me how you can actually feel quality and craftsmanship just holding it. Alright, I'm starting to gush like a 12-year old girl at a Jonas brothers concert so I better stop. I do not have a digital camera so I can't post a pic, but the blue is much more subtle than others I've seen. Still playing around with the pickups, not 100% crazy about the tone yet. But I bought a dinky little amp (25 watt Fender Frontman) since my funds were low, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. And I am messing around with the different tone combinations using the controls on the guitar, so I am sure it will just take some time to find a good sweet spot. Two early questions, which I imagine have been asked and answered a thousand times here, so please bear with me. First, is it normal for the neck to become incredibly tacky after playing for a few minutes, and if so, is there anything to counteract that? Second, is there a cetain type(not brand) of strings that work particularly well with a semi-hollow? It came with Brite Wires which I like so far, but I understand that certain materials can make a string give a "brighter" or "mellower" tone than others. Any thoughts. I am glad there are still some things in life that live up to expectations.[/quote']

I take it that it is a ES-137 Classic and not the custom? Relax and take your time getting her to the way you want her. I always start with the neck and does it need relief or not. Then action and intonation. You should have a new set of strings on to do the intonation. Then you can adjust pickups to your liking. Use your clean channel to adjust your pips and get near that tone you want. I am not familiar with your amp but it should be fine for now.

After a few weeks or so you will find more things to adjust. Wash your hands before you play and wipe the thing down to get prints and other debris off of it. you can dampen your cloth with a little water or spit if it is stubborn. The nitro will eventually dry much harder than when new.

ES-137 is a tone monster! get yourself a good strap and put strap locks on it. I personally use Eanie Ball but Schallers, Dunlops etc. have a huge following.

Here is a pic of mine... [confused]

es137.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that link to the thread regarding the tacky neck. I am too scared to try most of that, I think I'll stick to keeping it and my hands as clean as possible and give it some time to set. I would love to get a used tube amp, I don't intend on playing gigs anytime soon so a smaller one would be perfect. I guess this one will work for sure till I get a better idea of what the hell I'm doing.

Myles, it is a Classic. The nuances of something like the varitone switch are beyond me right now, so I figured I'd save a few bucks. I love that Tri-Burst color and the split inlays are killer, I would have gone for that one as well if they had that instead of the blue. The place I bought it was pretty cool, and they gave me a free set up with a new set of Brite Wires, adjusted the action for me, and set the intonation. Can't claim my ear can pick up the intonation adjustments, but the action is much more comfortable. All around good experience.

I enjoyed experimenting with different strings while learning to play my acoustic, have settled on a 3 man rotation; all the same gauge. I guess between working on wearin the neck in, and wanting to work through as many sets of strings I can, I better get back to practicing.

Bloom59, if you're into blues, I would suggest getting a set of BB king signature strings from Gibson, they have a wound G string and there is a noticeable difference and much warmer sound from these. I use them on my ES-335 and really like the tone it gives. Congrats on your new lady. Cheers.

Bloom59' date=' if you're into blues, I would suggest getting a set of BB king signature strings from Gibson, they have a wound G string and there is a noticeable difference and much warmer sound from these. I use them on my ES-335 and really like the tone it gives. Congrats on your new lady. Cheers.[/quote']

I thougt about the BB King series, and the guy at the shop suggested those or the Vintage reissues. I was looking for a nice warm, mellow tone. I noticed that the gauges of the low E, A, D strings were significantly thicker than others in the 'standard' set of 10's. Would I need to have anything adjusted if I put on these thicker strings? I know I had some issues with that when I made a fairly significant change on my acoustic, but I chalked that up to it being a beginner Epiphone(although it has held up incredibly well for the price). Also, I have used some internet sites to pick up some practice lessons, anybody know of any sites with some good blues lessons?

• 4 months later...

Congratulations on your new guitar. A great color, but I may be a little partial because I own an ES 135 in the same color. I had the same question regarding guitar strings and asked Dale, who owns Village Music, the only stand alone Gibson dealer in Northeast Ohio. He's been in the music business since the 60's. He felt and I now totally agree that Gibson L-5 pure nickle wound electric guitar light gauge (10's) are the best strings for the ES135/137. I have been using them for the last two years. They sound great and stay in intonation. They are somewhat hard to find but worth the effort locating them.

I just solved my sticky neck problem with my 339 by using Gibson guitar polish. Apply as directed. It's good for the whole guitar, and the neck is smooth and fast now. I also use Fast Fret on the strings, and it works to make them faster, too.

....Still playing around with the pickups, not 100% crazy about the tone yet. But I bought a dinky little amp (25 watt Fender Frontman) since my funds were low, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. And I am messing around with the different tone combinations using the controls on the guitar, so I am sure it will just take some time to find a good sweet spot.....Second, is there a cetain type(not brand) of strings that work particularly well with a semi-hollow?

Congratulations.

Did the pickups sound excellent at the shop? If so, it may well be the amp - or how you are using it. Can you say more about not being 100% crazy? You can change the pickups but in the first instance, I would be trying different strings, and experimenting with the pickup height and picks - and later different amps.

Given funds are a bit tight after your guitar purchase, while we all swear by tube amps, you might note that there are lots of less expensive great sounding SS amps around. I wouldn't spend money on the Frontman upgrading the speaker.

Have you got a decent lead? Doesn't need to be crazy expensive, just a good low capacitance lead. I make my own using Canare GS6. I am not sure what the off-the-hook equivalent is.

All that said, pickup tone is very personal and you would not be the first person in the world to find Classic 57s are not their cup of tea.

When people ask about strings, I usually ask what kind of music they play and are there any sounds they are trying to emulate? For instance, I play jazz and I like more of a Kenny Burrell tone so I use flatwounds - at least on my 345. What about you?

RN

Archived