Gibson Brands Forums

all The Experts!! Help!

sharon mk

there is something strange about my J-45

the bridge sits in an angle leaning towards the sound hole only on one side of the top (the pickgurd side)

and that side of the top seem to have a bowl shape while the other piece of the top is arched like it should be. I do humidify the guitar .

what is that??

badside.jpg

badsidebridge.jpg

goodside.jpg

thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon....

Your photos did not show up. Are you trying to upload from your computer direct? You need to link from a photo hosting site like Photobucket.

I am just guessing here, but is it possible the saddle is too narrow for the bridge slot? Otherwise it sounds like a humidity problem. Do you know the current humidity reading in your room or case where the guitar is stored?

Your pics aren't showing up.

... I do humidify the guitar. ...

If it's bowled up, it might be over humidified - the top swells and it bowls upward (like a dome), causing bridge tilt and the action to get a bit higher. Don't humdifiy it for a few days (depending how dry you are there in Israel) and see if the bowl/dome goes down. If it doesn't, that's not a good sign - take it to a luthier.

Photos are there but tough to interpret. The bridge will roll toward the neck of the guitar as a normal consequence of string tension, but that roll is very small on a guitar that's in good shape. Too much roll is generally found on older instruments, caused by the ravages of time and tension - the top "bellies" or sinks in front of the bridge and rises behind. How old is your guitar? If the bridge appears to be rolling toward the neck on just the pickguard side that might be a sign of a loose brace or bridge plate under the top. Tough to figure from the photos though............I dunno.

EDIT: If it's the saddle leaning toward the soundhole it's either broken or too narrow for the slot in the bridge.

Sometimes a loose brace or bridge plate can be made to rattle by tapping the top in the suspected area with your fingertip.........if you hear a buzz or rattle or anything other than the thump of your finger, something is loose beneath the top. In the second photo the roll of the bridge can be seen, and it does not look out of line to my eye. It does look like the treble side of the saddle is leaning forward pretty bad..........true?

how come just one side of the top is arched and the other side is bowled?

the leaning of the bridge may have to do with too much humidity. but than again if ifs too humid why on only one side

the guitar is 2 years old

If you 've got a two piece top - one piece might swell more than the other. Without any other symptoms, test for over humidification (by not humidifying for a couple days or so) and monitor the dome. My son just went through this with his acoustic - over use of an incase humidifier. The top domed, causing the bridge to tilt and the action went up a bit. We let it dry out for week (at around 40% humidity) and the dome shrunk back down. He took it in to have Elderly look at it and they told him it was okay - something they see with incase humidifiers used without a gauge.

Of course if drying it out doesn't help, have a luthier look at it.

Hi Sharon, I've looked at your photos but find it quite hard to see what the saddle looks like. It does look like maybe the body between the bridge and the endpin is swollen, but I can't be sure. Therefore it could well be a humidity related issue. Take it into a luthier for a look . . . they should be able to tell straight away what's going on. Good luck.

If you 've got a two piece top - one piece might swell more than the other. Without any other symptoms' date=' test for over humidification (by not humidifying for a couple days or so) and monitor the dome. My son just went through this with his acoustic - over use of an incase humidifier. The top domed, causing the bridge to tilt and the action went up a bit. We let it dry out for week (at around 40% humidity) and the dome shrunk back down. He took it in to have Elderly look at it and they told him it was okay - something they see with incase humidifiers used without a gauge.

Of course if drying it out doesn't help, have a luthier look at it.

[/quote']

mmm... do you think that there is a way of speeding things up ? like blow some air from a blow drier (not hot !) ?

no luthiers near where I live - I kindda take care my guitars myself

and about that bowl is the other top - I know that tops should have a slight arch . can it be that one half of the top is too humid and the other too dry?

you can see on the photos that one has an arch and one has a bowl shape when I put a ruler against the 2

mmm... do you think that there is a way of speeding things up ? like blow some air from a blow drier (not hot !) ? ...

NO. Do NOT use a blower are hairdryer. Drying it too fast can cause damage (finish cracks, wood cracks). Let it dry naturally.

And yes, I see from your straight edge shots, one side is bowed up. If drying doesn't help, there's something else going on and it would be best to have it checked out - in that case, locate a competent repair shop and have them take a look.

Archived