Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Songwriter deluxe

wisdoms_son

I just purchased a barely used Gibson Songwriter Deluxe. It is the cutaway model. I am trying to find out what the guitar has in it for a saddle, nut, and bridge pins. The paperwork says it constructed in 2007. Any help anyone? Trying to decide if I need a bone or Tusq?

Hi. Welcome to the forum. I have the same model, same year.

The nut and saddle are tusq. The bridge pins are plain old fashioned plastic. I've had mine for 2 years now and never felt the need to change any of the above.

Hope you like the new bat. Be sure to post your impressions, good and bad, and some pics. I love mine.

In case Gilliangirl misses this thread, what was the first song you played on it?

Thanks for all the advice. I'm new here and this is my first Gibson. I'm am loving it. Had a Martin DC16 and this thing blows it out of the water in my opinion. I play this at the church I am a pastor at. The first song I played was How He Loves Us by the David Crowder Band.

Is it worth switching out the bridge pins or does it really make that much of a difference? Everything else sounds good the way it is.

Any advice on which strings might sound better or what gauge?

The thinking behind the materials makes sense to me from a Gibson point of view:

Pins = plastic

Saddle = Tusq

Nut = bone

Of the three, the easiest to replace are the pins, next the saddle and finally the nut (takes more than layman's skill). So having the most difficult part to replace have the best material down to the easiest part to replace being plastic, I think Gibson made the right choices.

BTW: Mine are all bone now and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm new here and this is my first Gibson. I'm am loving it. Had a Martin DC16 and this thing blows it out of the water in my opinion. I play this at the church I am a pastor at. The first song I played was How He Loves Us by the David Crowder Band.

Is it worth switching out the bridge pins or does it really make that much of a difference? Everything else sounds good the way it is.

Any advice on which strings might sound better or what gauge?

The debates on bridge pins, nuts, saddles and strings are long and varied. Of course these are the items which can be easily changed to produce different results.

I have no experience on any of them except strings.

I tend to use 12s and my favourite at the moment are the Martin SPs. D'addaroi EJ16s are great too. However, I prefer their sound after a week or so as the tend to be a touch too bright when new. I'm currently running a set of D'addario flat tops 12s which were not as bright when I first put them on but are holding up well. They've been on a month.

Personally anything less than 12 will reduce the depth of the tone but 13s are too much for me.

Try different gauges and brands until you find the ones you like.

Bob Colosi's pins, nuts and saddles are popular here and worth looking into.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm new here and this is my first Gibson. I'm am loving it.

Welcome to the forum, father ;-)

Congrats for the new guitar. This "first Gibson" of yours will not be the last. We are all addicted to Gibson here, you know...

Can you post some pictures, please?

As for the strings - I have an SJ 200 and I prefere 12/54 Martin phosphor bronze on it.

BTW - don't hesitate to put a new bone saddle, a new bone nut and new bone pins.

This will make the sound of your SWD better ;-)

Personally anything less than 12 will reduce the depth of the tone but 13s are too much for me.

Try different gauges and brands until you find the ones you like.

Bob Colosi's pins' date=' nuts and saddles are popular here and worth looking into.[/quote']

+1

I just purchased a barely used Gibson Songwriter Deluxe. It is the cutaway model. I am trying to find out what the guitar has in it for a saddle' date=' nut, and bridge pins. The paperwork says it constructed in 2007. Any help anyone? Trying to decide if I need a bone or Tusq?[/quote']

hello and congrats on a truely wonderful guitar...i have an "03 and have tried many combinations...heres what i settled with...a bob colosi ivory saddle[look up his website good guy] makes this guitar sing so sweetly..a bone nut..and the stock plastic pins sound the best to me. i tried bone and ebony pins but came back to the plastic ones...and let me tell you this thing has really opened up in the seven years i have had it..just keeps getting better.thats what i like everyone is different so good luck and have fun exploring....ronnie

I've put bone nuts, and pins on all my guitars and there's nothing like it - but be careful with the saddle - unless you get it absolutely straight aat the bottom any undersaddle pickup are likely to get dropouts of tone - tusq saddles are great for undersaddle pickups.

Archived