Gibson Brands Forums

guess who i'm going to see next week?

S t e v e

i'd let him keep it' date=' after 37 yrs and him owning it for 20yrs i'd pretty much say that the guitar belongs to gary.[/quote']

Not me I would want my $100,000(this is a low number) guitar back no matter how long it was. Steve we

were talking HONESTY here but if you wouldn't want it back I'd say your in a small minority of people that

don't care if there things are stolen. Were not talking $1000 or $2000 were talking 6 figures.

CW

Not me I would want my $100' date='000(this is a low number) guitar back no matter how long it was. Steve we

were talking HONESTY here but if you wouldn't want it back I'd say your in a small minority of people that

don't care if there things are stolen. Were not talking $1000 or $2000 were talking 6 figures.

CW

[/quote']

6 figures now yes but not when he lost it.

37 yrs is a very long time...long enough for the heartache of losing one of your guitars to ease,

20 yrs is a very long time...long enough for you to be heartbroken at the thought of losing your pride and joy,

you and i ain't gonna agree on this so we should leave it there...but i do respect your opinion on the matter [biggrin]

you and i ain't gonna agree on this so we should leave it there...but i do respect your opinion on the matter [biggrin]

your right here. I think stealing is wrong and you think it's alright as long as some time has passed.

Oh and as far as him not stealing it that is true. Here's the other piece of the

pie. It does no good to steal something if you can't sell it. IE low down scum that

by stolen property.

CW

gary didn't steal it he bought it fare and square...:-s

leave it there eh? [cool]

We'll never now that because he's not saying a thing. Must have something to hide

don't you think. If not he would have come forth and cleared it all up.

CW

Ronnie Montrose has apparently gone to a lot of trouble and expense trying to find this guitar for 37 YEARS!

Obviously he loves this guitar...one would think any guitar player would understand that.

The fact remains it is STILL a stolen guitar & appears to be documented as such.

Finders keepers, losers weepers seems to ring a little hollow...a decent person would return it.

Ronnie Montrose has apparently gone to a lot of trouble and expense trying to find this guitar for 37 YEARS!

Obviously he loves this guitar...one would think any guitar player would understand that.

The fact remains it is STILL a stolen guitar & appears to be documented as such.

Finders keepers' date=' losers weepers seems to ring a little hollow...a decent person would return it.[/quote']

Thank you Sweet Marie I was beginning to wonder if there was any integrity left in the

guitar world. It's sad Steve has to put celebrity over right or wrong. Well we know what

kind of a person he is now.

CW

While the idea that Gary Moore owns stolen property doesn't affect my opinions of him as a musician (not necessarily as a person, mind you,) I do agree with CW here, and I think that if it's Ronnie Montrose's guitar (and if it's not, then why does it have the same serial number and why is there a hole in the guitar exactly where Ronnie would have put it?,) then it ought to be returned to him. Gary's a victim, insofar as he was suckered into purchasing stolen property (as far as we know--but it's not as if he hired burglars to steal Ronnie Montrose's 59 LP for him,) but fair is fair, and it's clearly Ronnie's stolen guitar and it ought to be returned to him. I mean, if I had found out that I was in possession of a stolen guitar I would want to do what's right and make sure it was returned.

Remember, though, that just because he's a "crook," that doesn't impact my opinion on his work. He's not one of my favorites, so I probably wouldn't buy tickets to one of his shows anyway, but I think that some of us need to learn how to separate the artist from his art.

That's why there's a statue of limitations on things like this Montrose lost this guitar 37 years ago and property changes hands many times over the years there very few antiquities that have clear history the fact that Montrose say's it's his serial number and it has a pinhole on the back doesn't mean squat.

Montrose probably collected insurance on the loss and if he did it wouldn't even be his and even if he didn't the fact that he lost it would fix the value on his loss then not on the value in today's market.

Gary Moore bought the guitar in good faith has owned it in good faith and is not responsible for something that occurred 37 years ago and he has no requirement to give it back or even talk to Montrose or anyone else after this long of a gap in time.

This isn't an integrity issue as there is no clear right and wrong here neither of these parties did anything either illegal or immoral and like I said in the beginning statue of limitations exists to prevent this kind of argument. Ff this wasn't the case property for one thing could not be purchased or owned just imagine how many descendants would come out and claim property which was "stolen" from their ancestors which is exactly the argument that native american have been losing for several hundred years.

This is a huge part of law and I'm sure some will say that has nothing to do with theft and right and wrong but as an example I own some property in Hawaii and a group of native Hawaiian's think it should be taken from me "also an American citizen with a clear title to the property" and given to them because their ancestors owned the property at one time and they feel it was stolen from them. So should I just give it back, well nope it's not gonna happen and just like Moore I won't even talk about it with them if they want my property because they feel it means more to them than it does to me well here's an idea they can buy for what it's worth now not 100 years before I was born.

That's why there's a statue of limitations on things like this Montrose lost this guitar 37 years ago and property changes hands many times over the years there very few antiquities that have clear history the fact that Montrose say's it's his serial number and it has a pinhole on the back doesn't mean squat.

Montrose probably collected insurance on the loss and if he did it wouldn't even be his and even if he didn't the fact that he lost it would fix the value on his loss then not on the value in today's market.

Gary Moore bought the guitar in good faith has owned it in good faith and is not responsible for something that occurred 37 years ago and he has no requirement to give it back or even talk to Montrose or anyone else after this long of a gap in time.

This isn't an integrity issue as there is no clear right and wrong here neither of these parties did anything either illegal or immoral and like I said in the beginning statue of limitations exists to prevent this kind of argument. Ff this wasn't the case property for one thing could not be purchased or owned just imagine how many descendants would come out and claim property which was "stolen" from their ancestors which is exactly the argument that native american have been losing for several hundred years.

This is a huge part of law and I'm sure some will say that has nothing to do with theft and right and wrong but as an example I own some property in Hawaii and a group of native Hawaiian's think it should be taken from me "also an American citizen with a clear title to the property" and given to them because their ancestors owned the property at one time and they feel it was stolen from them. So should I just give it back' date=' well nope it's not gonna happen and just like Moore I won't even talk about it with them if they want my property because they feel it means more to them than it does to me well here's an idea they can buy for what it's worth now not 100 years before I was born.

[/quote']

exactly [cool]

Archived