Gibson Brands Forums

Rehearsal today!

Hthomas

I have a gig sunday at a big church here in town for Easter sunday. I will be using my 5150III. I havent use it live in a while so I cant wait to hear how it sounds. Im not playing through my cab though, the church said they made a iso cab with a marshall 4x12 with greenbacks. its in a soundproof box with condenser mic........ not sure how this is going to sound.

none the less im sure it will be a great time for me. will let you guys no how the rehearsal went!

I have a gig sunday at a big church here in town for Easter sunday. I will be using my 5150III. I havent use it live in a while so I cant wait to hear how it sounds. Im not playing through my cab though' date=' the church said they made a iso cab with a marshall 4x12 with greenbacks. its in a soundproof box with condenser mic........ not sure how this is going to sound.

none the less im sure it will be a great time for me. will let you guys no how the rehearsal went![/quote']

Sweet man, for me, nothing can beat playing out. I don't care who its for, or what it is, its just a big rush for me.

Good luck

well back from rehearsal! went very well! My amp really sounded great.

only problem was..... the clean channel....

the clean channel is still very gainy, but i guess i should expect that from a EVH amp. well i set the gain at 2, bass and mid at 4, treb at 6. when i played on the neck pickup, i would play an F or Em, any chord with the low E and it would be very muddy, gainy. is there a reason why? im pretty sure the string isnt buzzing

i have my presence set at 0, and ive thought that might be a problem... what u think?

i have a pot on the neck pickup that is going bad, and i have a new one on the way, could that be a problem to?

I do have some videos though, so ill try and put those up tonight!

I'll admit that as an "old guy," I've been shocked on occasion for what I should have seen coming: Christian Rock.

It's not my thing in terms of what I expect from "church," but it makes good sense in a number of ways. I think a lot more guitar players from that type of music might even hit this forum except that it does sometimes get a bit rowdy.

Here's how I see it: "Rock" is part of "our" culture. Given lack of "cultural arts" seen by young people for the past coupla generations, what is "their" music style? Rock. In terms of "church," it used to be more "country." But "Rock" with understandable words of a religious theme makes darned good sense and is meaningful to a lotta folks. I once did a story for Guitar Player mag on a friend who took rock and country as the focus of a reservation music program for the same set of reasons.

Me? I try not to make value judgments. And as one who has played Christmas music kinda "classical guitar" style in church, I figure I'm not going to be very critical of other guitar players who play "rock guitar" styles 'stedda "classical."

I also agree that "playing out" is something pretty neat whether one does it for a living or as an important part of their life in other ways.

There's something internally good about the discipline needed to play well when performing for others. Which reminds me... the local high school jazz musicians and their parents are planning a fundraising "coffee house" gig for a band trip.

m

I'm also playing guitar for my churches big Easter concert. All the music this year is being done live for both soloist and choir. Lots of music to learn but I'm playing with some pretty talented youngsters so its great fun.

Enjoy yourself H. Playing live is what its all about!

I used to do Praise and Worship music at a special service reserved for those who wanted to be a part of it. The music was simple and the tunes were fun, but to me, the music was hardly inspirational. It was a popular service, and a good many people came, especially kids.

But what I enjoyed most was doing more rock oriented Christian stuff like Third Day where I could go electric. I thought some of their stuff was very inspirational, and we had a great singer who could really get a lot out of a song. It has been a while, and sometimes I kinda miss it.

Archived