Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar of the stars

cdntac

The guitar is sitting in a stand on the back of my truck (it has a tonneau cover) and I took a 35 second exposure while there was still a bit of twilight with a 15mm lens @ f/3.5 and ISO 400. The only thing that Photoshop was used for was to blacken the bottom where the guitar stand was reflecting light. A quick burst of the porch light illuminated the guitar.

The guitar is sitting in a stand on the back of my truck (it has a tonneau cover) and I took a 35 second exposure while there was still a bit of twilight with a 15mm lens @ f/3.5 and ISO 400. The only thing that Photoshop was used for was to blacken the bottom where the guitar stand was reflecting light. A quick burst of the porch light illuminated the guitar.

Nice, very clever.... I'd like to see more guitar photos from you....

Very clever indeed!

That's just one more thing that has interested me since I was a child, but I never had time to pursue it.

Now photography has become "digital pics" and another art form is in decline...

I'd like to try and get one at sunset though to do that I'd have to travel a bit down the road. May do that tonight if it clears a bit.

The hard part is, at least when attempting to include stars, getting decent focus on both the stars and the guitar. You have to shoot at a relatively fast f-ratio to keep the exposure short and capture the stars but the focus point for the stars and the guitar are at two different points. For stars you have to focus at the lens' infinity point and obviously the focus point varies for an object right in front of the camera due to distance.

So I actually took 30 seconds of exposure focusing on the stars then quickly adjusted the focus so it was more so sharp on the guitar for the final five seconds. The shot could have been better if I had someone working the light switch for me.

I've taken a few other guitar pics and they were posted in another thread --- dunno which sub-forum it was here on the board.

byrdland_march2010.jpg

Archived