Gibson Brands Forums

powered monitors for mixing on computer

EVOL!

Hey fellow rockers!

My dog knocked my M-Audio Studiopro 3 monitors off of the computer desk. They fell front end down and it destroyed the volume knob's housing. Tried to get them fixed, but even M-Audio said they discontinued parts for these. So now I am in the market for new powered monitors for my computer. I do not want a speaker system with a subwoofer since I'll be using these monitors to mix home demos too. Just something with a flat response.

My question - what do you cats use at home? My budget is around $150 so I am looking at a pair of M-Audio studiophile AV40s.

I use and love my KRK Rokit 5 but they might be out of your budget? I can't remember what they cost.

Just priced them and was excited when I saw $149' date=' but that is per. They don't sell them in sets [cool . Weird.

Unless you're mixing seriously and for clients...it does not matter squat how flat (freq.-wise),big ,small expensive etc. the speakers are that you use.

Rule #1 - know the system you work with and it's limitations.

I use a faithfull old analogue receiver wired in stereo (never surround etc.) with a 10 band parametric eq. dialled into my fave sounding cd's - Back In Black and Passion & Warfare. They're my starting points...and if aspire to that hahaha...the point is,know you're system and work with what you've got.

Most engineers will travel the world job to job with nothing but their fave monitors for the simple fact that they "know" them.

But damn,it's getting harder and harder to find a good cheap set of NS-10's now...wish they weren't disconned.

Oh...and fer chrissakes. No small kids or animals in the room...except for maybe stuffed pu$$ys...ask Blackie.[cool]

I have the Studiophile AV40s... I like them quite a bit. They're small, but have very good bass response. The studio I use has three sets of monitors, and these perform almost as well as the biggest, and most expensive, ones. They're ten times better than the smaller, cheapest set.

Archived