Gibson Brands Forums

Straplocks

SG dude

A few guys have mentioned them, ive only used the schaller one because up until a year or so ago i was only aware of them. But anyway, out of the two i know of, which is best? These being Dunlops and the Schallers.

thanks,

Ryan.

Great, lucky me =) anyways, i never installed the ones on my guitar. im going to install them into my other guitar, hence why im asking which is best. Are they easy to install into the guitar? is it as simple as unsecrew-change to new one-screw back on? because thats all it looks like (on the guitar, not on the actual strap) hmmmmmmmmm...

The other Neo's got ya covered...

Get a set of Schaller strap locks and install them properly with the factory screws.

Or get exact replacement screws made of stainless if you have to modify the screw head slightly.

http://www.rattlesnakeroadhouse.com/Schaller.html

Anything less is just fxcking around...

You'll need a package of buna rubber faucet washers like these - note finished assembly on guitar;

3930550314_747916116a.jpg

3929765973_0edf976d79.jpg

Here's what your assembly should look like when it's ready to go' date=' after doing all the mods that may be needed.

Note the stainless screw from the hardware store with a thread pitch that exactly matches the factory screw.

Some factory screws are larger than will fit thru the hole in the center of the Schaller pin, so drill it out slightly.

You're not gonna damage the functionality of the strap pin in any way by slightly enlarging the hole.

The screw head itself may be too large in diameter, so grind the side off until it will drop down inside the pin.[/quote']

Using the rubber washer ensures that the screw penetrates the body to the same depth as with the factory pin.

The screws will go deeper into the body with Schaller pins, because the head is recessed deeper.

The rubbers are cheap and manifold in their purpose;

Makes sure the screw doesn't bottom out in the hole because it wasn't drilled deep enough.

May result in a broken screw (dammit!) or cracked wood - G@DD4MM!T!!!!

Serves the same function as the felt washers - stiff, but compresses slightly when torqued properly.

Serves as a cushion should you drop the guitar on the tailpin, may save you from damaged wood.

I would say they are indeed mandatory for awesome - but you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

People do stuff wrong all the time and survive....

[thumbup]

Yeah, Schaller strap pins have been installed on some Fenders for years.

Funny story how I discovered that;

I went to the shop where I bought my 1993 Strat and asked to buy a set of Schaller strap locks.

The guy said something about my guitar already had 'em.

I explained "No, I want the Schaller strap locks instead..."

After getting The Look from the guy, he explained the error of my thinking.

If I already had a set of Schaller locks on my guitar strap.....

:)

100% reversable

So are Schallers if you'll take the time to do it right.

It amazes me how fxcking lazy guitar players are.

Spend $3,000 on a guitar, buy all kinds of accessories, pedals, books.....

Top-wrapping, changing pots, nuts, pickups....

And taking the time to properly install a set of strap locks that work right every time is too much....

Archived