Gibson Brands Forums

Batteries not included? I shouldn't.... :-)

NeoConMan

I know I shouldn't do this.

I'm sorry, I just can't help it.

:-)

I just LOVE reading the thread titles in the "Robot/Dark Fire/Dusk Tiger/WTF Were You Thinking" threads.

That sh!t is just too funny!!!

Here's another;

Battery Life?? Shelf Life? - http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=31631

Are we talking about guitars here?

That's the reason I refuse to use active electronics and avoid effects pedals like the plague.

A DEAD BATTERY is not gonna keep my entire guitar rig from functioning.

You technologically advanced guys, don't take it personally.

Just regard me as a Luddite, with the added handicap of my ignorance being blissful indeed....

I'll try to laugh quietly.

:-k

Pedals can be run without batteries, in fact most of my pedals battery compartments have never been opened.

However, "Charging Your Guitar" and "Battery Life is Like a Laptop" are phrases that should never be uttered when talking about the Guitar itself.

Same with Wireless Set Ups, never will you see me wandering around the audience with my little pack on the strap. I'll always be plugged in!

I plug in my multi-effect pedal stedda using batteries.

I worry about the batteries in the EA guitars for their little preamps, especially since it's a bear to replace them on the mid 1970s Ovations.

I s'pose, though if one were truly to be a Luddite, one would refuse to use any electric guitar. <grin>

Whatever.

Then there's the matter of battery-powered tuners and I keep thinking about the advantages of my old pitch pipe.

Seriously, though, I know some folks praise active pickups, but I don't think so for me, even though functionally it's the same sorta game with the EA boxes.

It's not so much being a Luddite, I think, as just feeling comfortable playing a guitar "out."

m

I read more about active failures in guitars and basses. Think i'll stay with my passive SG Bass. Looks better all the time.

On the active pickup subject (which I think is a completely different subject than a computerized giutar that tunes itself and plays stairway to heaven) I'll say I've never run out of batteries with them, I have 4 EMG loaded giutars and 2 active basses and can't really remember the last time I changed their batteries, they seem to last forever provided you unplug the cable after you finish playin' with them.

My ONLY pedal for years and years was a Boss TU-2 tuner - I plugged it in to the wall.

When I was running an A/B/Y switch for my Fender HRD and Marshall JCM-800 I got hum.

BAD hum.

A ground lift on the Marshall cured most of it, but I still had some hum until I put the A/B/Y switch on a battery.

Since I never used that rig for gigs, it didn't matter.

Last year, I finally broke down and bought my first boost pedal in 25 years - Fulltone OCD.

I admit that I love it, and would prefer it over my Fender's dirty channel any day of the week.

No batteries, it's on a wall wart transformer and it produces no hum.

If it died, I could simply use the onboard dirty channel on my amp and get by just fine.

My old Guild acoustic had a Fishman piezo bridge.

I never used it.

I took the battery out so it wouldn't go dead and puke acid inside my guitar - seen it happen too many times.

The only time I plugged the guitar in was to tune it anyway....

A very good friend of mine uses a wireless for his PRS during gigs.

Seen batteries take a sh!t during gigs how many times?

Sorry.

NOTHING in my entire rig is dependent on a damned battery.

And to think of owning a guitar that cannot operate without 'em?

That's nuts!!!

[angry]

Archived