Gibson Brands Forums

This is how little I know about tubes

Riffster

The EL84's in my Mesa are going out, at least one of the two is.

I went to the Mesa dealer in town and got Mesa tubes, matched, Russian made.

Basically I wanted to keep the same sound since I am very happy with it. I thought I was on the right track.

Got the tubes and they sounded glassy and bright on the clean and harsh and un-mellowable on the overdrive, yikes!

I inspect the labels and see there a color code, the originals in my Mesa are stamped "Wht" for white and the new ones I got are matched "Blu" for blue, physically they look exactly the same (definitely Sovteks)

Come to find out they test tubes and I guess grade them based on the tubes characteristics and there are like 5 or 6 grades (colors in this case), holy cow!! we are talking one single brand of tubes that can come in 5 or 6 voicings (if you wanna call it that) and these are the tubes that make it on the testing I wonder how many don't. [thumbup]

The guy at the store tells me Mesa is starting to use JJ's now.

Dang, long story short I got JJ's

JJ's are good all around but they are not the best. The amp matters a lot too.

I just installed them and they get me about 90% there. The tubes that my Mesa came with sounded awesome, still do but they start crackling after 30 minutes.

I replaced JJs with Tung Sol on the preamp and the Tung Sol wins hands down, at least on that amp.

The issue I see with EL84's is that options are limited, for instance neither Svetlana or Tung Sol seem to offer them.

Check these guys out . They do a fantastic job. They ship fast too. Its the best tube site I have run across.

http://thetubestore.com/

Man ever since a guy at the vintage amp forum recomended them I buy only from them, and I only buy JJs. They even give matched quads or pairs for no extra charge (or at least they did last time I bought from them) and if they can get a box full of tubes down to this hellhole then they can get tubes anywhere.

Archived