Gibson Brands Forums

Question about a Gibson guitar

Flashgordon

Close. It's the eponymous model that the Everly Brothers used.

-- Bob R

In this case, I'm sure Bob is using eponymous as "self-named".

I thought the Everly Brothers used a J-185 in ebony with the double pickguards, (due to the way they strummed).

Saw Roger playing that guitar opening for Clapton a little while back. Real nice show.

Is that the guitar that was touring with them recently? Ooooooo! [angry] My mom saw that concert and made a point of mentioning Clapton's Martin' date=' but she didn't mention Daltrey was playing a Gibson. Hah! Now I've got ammo against her [biggrin. We get into these Martin vs Gibson discussions from time to time [biggrin] Thanks Pittstrummer!

In this case' date=' I'm sure Bob is using eponymous as "self-named".[/quote']

Right. I meant that the model was yclept "Everly Brothers". :-

I thought the Everly Brothers used a J-185 in ebony with the double pickguards' date=' (due to the way they strummed).[/quote']

The Everlys had at least four pairs of matching J-200s before the the Everly model came along -- first, sunburst with regular pickguards, later black with white (Don-designed) double pickguards, black with black-with-white-lower-layer-showing-at-the-edge double pickguards, and white with black double pickguards. Then came the Everly Brothers model with (Phil-requested -- Phil broke a lot of strings, which is why he started his own string company, and thought a pinless bridge would help -- and Ike-designed) massive pinless bridge and double pickguards. Same body profile as the J-185, but shallower. I only recall them playing black with faux tortoise pickguards, like the one Roger has. (Eventually, they wound up with Steinegger copies of the Gibson Everlys.)

But this is all kind of irrelevant, given that these were just their stage guitars. The characteristic guitar tone associated with the Everlys is that of Don's '53 SJ.

-- Bob R

Archived