Gibson Brands Forums

At the Dallas Guitar Festival...

J185-4Me

So I had a few days of obligatory vacation to use up from last year, and decided to go and take in the Dallas SHow this weekend.

Load in, Gibson trailer:

IMG_0903.jpg

Lots of vintage:

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

And new stuff too:

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

Of course, a map guitar:

IMG_1073.jpg

You can never have too many Les Pauls:

IMG_0945.jpg

Those were at Fuller's booth, right next to the Gibson Acoustic trailer. There was a lot of traffic through the Gibson trailer:

IMG_1163.jpg

Ricky Skaggs played for the group the other night. Here he is on a 50s J-50 that used to belong to Jerry Garcia:

IMG_1055.jpg

Must go, and see what kind of trouble I can get into still!

Fred

I was there today. It didn't seem like there were as many vendors as in the past, but it was VERY well attended. Long lines to get in at opening, and still at mid afternoon when I left. Fuller's had some great stuff! I loved the maple Banner J45 that was made for the Japanese market. And there was a J185 TV in natural that had an Adi top to die for.

I heard different vendors say that sales were good.

I saw Ricky Skaggs a few weeks ago in McKinney (a suburb of Dallas for those of you who don't know the area). I don't profess to be a Bluegrass fan, but he and his band were excellent. He played his Gibson F5 mandolin frequently, and an Advanced Jumbo on a few songs. Good concert by a very telented bunch of musicians.

Red 333

I was there today. It didn't seem like there were as many vendors as in the past' date=' but it was VERY well attended. Long lines to get in at opening, and still at mid afternoon when I left. Fuller's had some great stuff! I loved the maple Banner J45 that was made for the Japanese market. And there was a J185 TV in natural that had an Adi top to die for.

I heard different vendors say that sales were good.

I saw Ricky Skaggs a few weeks ago in McKinney (a suburb of Dallas for those of you who don't know the area). I don't profess to be a Bluegrass fan, but he and his band were excellent. He played his Gibson F5 mandolin frequently, and an Advanced Jumbo on a few songs. Good concert by a very telented bunch of musicians.

Red 333[/quote']

Yeah, that red spruce J-185 is a nice one!

And I like that maple J-45 too. Good thing I already have a maple SJ!

Fred

Yeah' date=' that red spruce J-185 is a nice one!

And I like that maple J-45 too. Good thing I already have a maple SJ!

Fred

[/quote']

Maple SJ? That sounds cool.

I've got a short-scale maple AJ. Otherwise, I'd be all over the maple J45. That and it was almost twice the price of a standard J45!

As I was strolling around, I kept thinking how much more enjoyable the show would be if I were a lottery winner....

I just realised you're from Vancouver. Enjoy Dallas while you're here! Thanks for visiting.

Red 333

Awesome. Love that double-cutaway CF-100. I hope they'll make a run of those.

I was supposed to go today' date=' but my friend flaked on me. I'll likely go tomorrow.[/quote']

I'm sure they'd cut you a sharp deal on it!!

Fred

One final note: you may gather from my forum name that I'm seriously into J-185s; well, there were two of the 50s models of this guitar at the show as I looked around late this afternoon.

As it happens, Fuller's had this one on display and for sale at their booth:

IMG_1183.jpg

It's a '53 going by the serial number, with a FON for '52. So it was likely assigned a FON towards the latter bit of 1952, and produced in 1953.

Fred

Archived