Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson CJ 165

fretplay

For some reason they have listed many of the guitars with V necks. I've played many new Gibson's in shops over the past five years (including CJ's) and they all have the same awesome low profile neck that are on my BK and H-bird. The neck profile/width is one of the reasons I like Gibson's so much.

The only exception I have found has been the L-00 Legend which had an obvious V and the J45 Legend which had very full C profile.

... it says NECK V Profile. ...

My theory (which I've propounded before in this forum' date=' complete with diagrams) is that Gibson doesn't mean what some other manufacturers mean by "V neck". The basic idea is that the width of the neck determines the major axis of an ellipse, and the depth (more precisely, the distance from the major axis to the deepest part of the neck, viz., the middle) determines the semiminor axis. If the neck doesn't fill the ellipse, Gibson considers it a V-profile neck. This does not require that there be a pronounced ridge in the middle -- it can actually be quite flat-feeling -- or that the neck is deep. What most people mean by a V-profile neck is a very extreme V by this definition.

What this amounts to is that "V-profile" just means "at least slightly less meaty through the shoulders than a full elliptical-profile". Both the CJ-165 and standard J-45/SJ necks [i']are[/i] V-profile by this definition, although they neither feels nor appears to be V-shaped.

There are plenty of necks out there that do not qualify as "V-profile" by this definition (e.g., Martin's low oval), so it's a perfectly useful, informative thing to say, even if the terminology is less than ideal. However, it doesn't tell you whether you'll be comfortable with a CJ-165 neck if you don't like a pronounced V. And it would be certainly nice if the necks of the OJ, Legend L-00, etc. -- the ones with the obvious, pronounced V's -- were described some other way that distinguished them from the extremely subtle V's pf the others.

-- Bob R

Thanks guys for your info. It is as I thought. I just can't get on with V profile necks, yes have tried. I can play an old D neck you know the ones without the trusss rod ( baseball bat neck someone called them ) but Vs no thank you.

Archived