Gibson Brands Forums

Say it again....

TommyK

How do you say, Eyjafjallajökull

Can someone phonetically type that out so and English speaker can pronounce it?

Apparently: Eyjafjallajökull is the name of the glacier?

And: Eyjafjall is the name of the mountain range?

What is the name of the volcano?

I can't wait 'til Katla blows it's top. [biggrin] It's easier to pronounce.

Wikipedia has a sound file that sounds like "Aiv ya lay vick." But that sounds a bit short.

How do you say' date=' Eyjafjallajökull

Can someone phonetically type that out so and English speaker can pronounce it?

Apparently: Eyjafjallajökull is the name of the glacier?

And: Eyjafjall is the name of the mountain range?

What is the name of the volcano?

I can't wait 'til Katla blows it's top. [blink It's easier to pronounce.

Wikipedia has a sound file that sounds like "Aiv ya lay vick." But that sounds a bit short.

Ay-yah-fyalah-yo-kuhl....I think that's right. I'm no expert in Nordic languages but over the last 3 years I have become pretty good at pronunciation of Icelandic, Norweigian, Danish, Finnish, Swedish and Faroese.

Ay-yah-fyalah-yo-kuhl....I think that's right. I'm no expert in Nordic languages but over the last 3 years I have become pretty good at pronunciation of Icelandic' date=' Norweigian, Danish, Finnish, Swedish and Faroese.[/quote']

That's pretty much how Scandinavians would say it.

That's pretty much how Scandinavians would say it.

What? I'm from Denmark and I have no clue in the world on how that should be pronounced. I can guess on how it probably would sound' date=' but wouldn't now how it's pronounced.

The only Scandinavian languages that are somewhat close to each other are Swedish, Norwegian and Danish.

Icelandic and Faroese only have few words that bare some resemblance to the other three languages, other than that Icelandic and Faroese sounds like choking while vomiting.

I apologise if I've offended any Icelandic or Faroese people.

not...

Icelandic and Faroese only have few words that bare some resemblance to the other three languages' date=' other than that Icelandic and Faroese sounds like choking while vomiting.

I apologise if I've offended any Icelandic or Faroese people.

not...

I'm not Faroese but I have 4 friends who are. (See bald guy in my avator)

What? I'm from Denmark and I have no clue in the world on how that should be pronounced.

Hej' date=' Danskjävel! [lol

What I meant was that what MojoRedFoot wrote (Ay-yah-fyalah-yo-kuhl) would be how me as a Swede would read out Eyjafjällajökul. Fjäll and Jökul are still used in Swedish, and that's pretty much what they sound like. But yeah, the Icelandic way of saying it is totally different as you can hear in the link I posted earlier.

Tjena, din svenske fylla. [lol] Hvor er du fra i Sverige?

The Swedish pronunciation doesn't count. You guys are constantly drunk, so your pronunciation changes on a yearly basis. Just listen to the way the Finnish people talk. They used to speak Swedish but couldn't handle the vodka.

Oh, and again I apologize if I've offended any of my fellow Scandinavians. Or others.

Not...

Archived