Gibson Brands Forums

Any BFG owners?

Josh James

I was wondering if anyone else has a LP BFG on this here forum? I really am digging all the tonal possibilities of this ax! I've only had it for 3 weeks, but it has become my main over my Strat with Tex Specs. The Burstbucker 3 is one of the best buckers I have ever heard for clean tones and the p90 is a mid heavy monster.

J

The Burstbucker 3 is great! I have one in my SG and I love it.

Can't go wrong with a p90 either can you? I think the BFGs are very practical and I love the pickup combo. I still don't think I would buy one unless I got it really cheap though.

I have had a totally of 3 BFGs but I currently have 2 - Trans Black and the Ltd Etd Ink. I had GOW 25 but I sold it, at the time to fund a SG Deluxe.

I love the pickup combo, they are my main guitars next to my Firebird.

It really is a guitar that turns heads for its looks...good or bad and the of course the pup's for other guitarist's. I wonder what it would sound like through a Dr. Z or a Marshall. I've been eyeing a Marshall Haze Combo that is used up at GC for like 450. Jay, that transblack is my fav finish other than the gold.

J

J

I got the trans black BFG and it's my favorite guitar I've ever owned. The PU combination is awesome and so versatile-I don't understand why these were so unpopular. I guess a lot of people didn't like the way they looked- it's not for everybody.

• 2 weeks later...

I am really glad to come across this forum! Les Pauls have something special about them which cannot be compared to a bolt on neck strat when it comes to sustain.

Being a les Paul fan many years ago, my first was a 86 custom which I bought in 1980....wish I still had it. After that I was into Stratocasters and they are still very important in my music style and sound.

The BFG Les Paul...my favorite guitar, I have owned mine for 2 years and it suits the music and band I am playing in now.

The P90 and the Burstbucker(not the warmest PU but loud) is a great combination. I like to keep the pickup switch in the middle and adjust in the P90 with the volume pot....very nice tones. Think of David Gilmour playing the classic lead on another brick in the wall, he did that on a 56 gold top with P90's.

This guitar sustains forever and is lite enough to wear all night and not break your back. The only mods I did was to put 70's style witch hat tone and volume knobs and a plain black truss rod cover....the holes are already pre drilled so a very easy cosmetic cleanup.

There still are a few of them out there on ebay every once and awhile but when the few that were made get to their rightful owners, these guitars will be rare some day.

I don't know if the burstbucker 3 will stay...anybody got some suggestions and comments on the burstbucker, maybe a P90 as a replacement?

Archived